1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

New Line get on worldwide DVD bandwagon releasing Rush Hour 2 in UK 1 day before USA!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Johnny G, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

I remember the day when the UK had to have mid week release dates for albums by US megastars such as Wacko Jacko & Mariah Carey to coincide with US releases instead of their usual Mondays.
    Now it seems that's not the case with DVDs, having Phantom Menace & Hannibal (among others) a day before the USA.
    New Line are releasing Rush Hour 2 in the USA on Dec 11th and the UK distribution company, Entertainmet in Video bring it to the Brits a day earlier on Dec 10th.
    I know it's only a day but doesn't worldwide release mean the same day?

2. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Not a huge deal really. DVD, CD and Video releases here are standard to usualy come out on a Monday, US gets their DVDs on a Tuesday so I don't get what the shock is here. The same is happening with the Godfather Box Set, the Worldwide release push is an "event" that, in these cases, means same week, within a few days of one another.
    The irony of course is, any UK resident will have a MUCH easier time getting Rush Hour 2 a good week ahead of its US streetdate on Region 1 then they will trying to find the UK R2 copy breaking streetdate so early, so it's really not a big issue, certainly not one worth shouting about.
    For what it's worth by the way, and indeed going against everything I said in my first paragraph ( [​IMG] ), the UK Phantom Menace date has apparently been pushed back to the Tuesday, or so Fox UK have told Amazon anyway.
    Dan (UK)

3. Johnny G

It's usually the Americans that are REALLY fussy, even making sure albums weren't sold at midnight openings and having to wait til 8AM when it's midnight in California so nobody gets it a minute early.

4. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

And they still are very fussy, at least in the case of DVD releases in which the studios often get a bit miffed if a retailer breaks streetdate (which is why its best members here never mention any store that does). It's the same here, it's like I say, you'll be hard pressed to find a domestic R2 disc breaking streetdate a week early from a retailer.
    The thing is, what reason do UK importers have have to stick to US streetdates? None what so ever, so you can get them here early. So, the whole boasting a number of R2 lovers, and indeed, national newspapers no less, went into over the fact that we were (originally) getting Phantom Menace a day early, was a bit of a joke in my eyes because if you know the right places, one will likely have it some 10 days prior to its US (and now UK) streetdate of Oct 16th.
    The BEST thing about this simaltanious worldwide release dates releases like The Simpsons, Godfather, Rush Hour 2, Phantom Menace and Snow White are getting is, you're kind of more free to feel happy over which version you want to buy most. It lessens the load on import sales for the studios, because only a small minority will import say the R1 of Phantom Menace (because, like me, they may hate PAL speedup), the majority will buy the domestic R2 release.
    They're just trying to crack down on people owning a DVD of a movie from another country thats not even out theatrically in their own country yet. I don't think they care about the minority who import for technical reasons, if they can get the majority to buy the domestic releases (they still make money on import sales), then they're happy.
    You only need take one look at the timelines of this summers big movies. We've never had UK theatrical releases so close to the US theatrical release dates. Mummy Returns was some two weeks apart, JP3 was two days apart, Rush Hour 2, a few days, Pearl Harbour, a week or two.....etc.
    Dan (UK)

5. Johnny G

It's not only PAL speed up (& hence inferior bass extension) that stops me buying UK discs, I will not buy anything with a BBFC certificate as I think it should be illegal to sell an incomplete film without stating such and there is absolutely NO WAY to know if a film is cut, due to studios making cuts prior to submission.