What's new

NEW LINE : Fans to record commentaries (1 Viewer)

Andy_MT

Second Unit
i saw this posted over at the "rotten tomatoes" forum :
EVENING HERALD
31st JULY 2002
DVD proprieters New Line Cinema have announced their ambition for allowing fans of certain movies to record their own 'commentary track' for their favourite movie on Dvd. Sound designer Russel Edwards says "It's only a matter of time. It'll be their interpretation, their voice. And it'll be recorded forever." New Line have not yet confirmed a date for this proposal.
-Steve Zammit

i wonder how this is going to work ? i hope it doesn't mean some of these commentaries might find they're way onto DVD.
:frowning:

Kurt N

Stunt Coordinator
I would assume it would be recorded onto your copy on your DVD recorder in your computer. I'd be afraid to do this for fear I'd be killed the next day and whoever ended up with the disc would play it for people and I'd be ridiculed forever.

I've thought about recording one on a cassette to play akong with the film, but then remembered how much I hate hearing my voice and decided against even trying.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
strange thing is there's already a web-site that does something similar to this http://www.dvdtracks.com/ where you can upload your own commentaries and download other peoples. so i'm not sure of what their angle is. perhaps if they hosted a web site like this ...
personally, i'm not interested in listening to people who weren't part of the film making process. it'd be their interpretation, not necessarily that of the film makers so i don't see the point.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
personally, i'm not interested in listening to people who weren't part of the film making process. it'd be their interpretation, not necessarily that of the film makers so i don't see the point.
I completely agree.

Dan

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
As long as it is a well thought out & prepared commentary, I don't care who does them.

I've heard my share of commentaries from director's and actors that were absolutely terrible. The majority of the films that I listen to the commentary tracks on are classics and the original talent isn't with us anymore. Usually a film historian does these and quite often they are great tracks. I would love to get a crack at doing a commentary track for some of my favorite movies, that otherwise would never get one.

If these are going to be fanboys or random ramblings, I would have no interest.

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
As usual, Troma is ahead of the game: Their DVD for Lucio Fulci's NEW GLADIATORS contains a track by the "Fulci Benevolence Institute", which is basically a couple of Fulci fans who work for Troma. Their pictures are on the box, too.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I completely agree.
So you aren't a big fan of the Ebert commentaries on the Dark City and Citizen Kane DVDs, nor the film historians commentary on The Lady Vanishes Criterion DVD, nor the film historians commentary on the Red Beard Criterion DVD, nor...
;)
Let's not confuse commentaries by "authorities" (but not part of the process) with the inane ramblings of some moron who just thinks the film is cool. :D

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Seth, buddy, to that extent I agree of course. That's a case of film historian vs fanboy going on about how some scene "sucked" whilst another "ruled" and I know which I'd prefer.
People like Ebert and other notable historians study the making of the film they are discussing enough to have relevant input, absolutely. The fan comes to it with what little they'd know about the production, perhaps stretching it to discussing rumour over who screwed who off set. :)
Dan

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
Of course this would lend itself to home-brewed MST3K-type commentaries, for better or for worse...

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
I'm all for it, so long as someone who has taste is picking and editing the tracks.
Then again, I have a feeling this could lead to the exclusion of some potential director/cinematographer/writer commentaries, which would be a terrible thing.
The more commentaries the better, but please give preference to the intelligent ones!
Andy, are there any tracks on dvdtracks.com that are useful? Anything by filmmakers, either about their own, or other's work?

Andy_MT

Second Unit
Daniel, i can't say i've spent much time at this site. the one that i did bother to download (for clockwork orange i think) didn't turn out to be very good. what a surprise. if you're going to try any of the tracks out, i'd proceed with caution.

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
I may be alone here, but I think hearing a commentary by a hard core fan would be interesting. I think you might hear a bit more passion then from some of the stuffy film-historian tracks, or pretentious actor/director tracks I've heard. While it may lack a bit on the refinement I think it would definitely add some spark. I think it would depend on what they choose to speak about.

I'd be more worried about just how they plan on picking this ONE fan. Would they have a competition to send in recordings and they pick one? Or, and perhaps more wisely, scan the fan web pages and choose a fan who could put the film in perspective of that director's other works.

Although.... I would be curious to hear a commentary by someone who knew nothing about the director or film. Having a fan of "Dude Where's My Car" do a commentary on something like "The Seventh Seal" could be utterly fascinating.

Shaun

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
Reminds me of that SNL Chris Farley routine:

"Remember that time when you were sitting in that courtroom and you asked Tom Cruise if he wanted the truth and he said he wanted the truth and you said you can't handle the truth?"

"Yes."

"Heh heh... that was cool."

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
I'm listening to the ESB fan commentary track from dvdtracks. I don't mind tracks which are full of information, but don't bother with the fanboy ones, which tell you nothing except "that rules".
I might do one on Superman 2 to explain the various production problems, which scenes are Donner's, which are Lester's etcetc ;)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I'd buy a copy of AOTC with commentary tracks by Terrell and Tim Glover ;)

Thomas J.

Stunt Coordinator
I might do one on Superman 2 to explain the various production problems, which scenes are Donner's, which are Lester's etcetc
That's a good idea Dharmesh. I know you love the Superman films, and are obviously very knowledgable about them, so I'd love to hear your comments!

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
:emoji_thumbsup: I'll do some testing soon, could be quite interesting for the casual fan instead of reading the website, which takes a month to get thru :frowning: ;)

Craig_T

Second Unit
I'll be letting MGM know that I intend to do a commentary track for an undeniable classic of American cinema known as 'ROAD HOUSE.'

"Pain don't hurt."

I realize that it's New Line and not MGM, but I'm so excited by this prospect that I'm gonna bug MGM about it anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks