What's new

International NEW Limited Edition transfer of 'Withnail and I' (1 Viewer)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I just noticed (and ordered it immediately as a Christmas present for my partner Robyn) this relatively expensive but possibly wonderful brand new transfer of the cult classic 'Withnail and I'.
Here's a URL for your inspection: http://www.arrowfilm...imited-edition/ This is Region B (Britain) and I'm not sure if it will be a region-free edition or not. This is also available on Amazon.co.uk, but this link offers special features. I've availed myself of them, despite the cost, as this is my wife Robyn's very favourite movie. As you can see, as well as being able to choose packaging features, this edition comes with a 200-page book on the film's making.Although some people will think this special edition rather silly, I don't think it's more outrageous than such issues as Robin Hood or Wizard of Oz or Casablanca, with ruby watch or Rick's Place beer coasters etc .....Very best wishes from Woodend, Vic in Australia....Anthony

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Yes indeed ... I've checked and can confirm this will be locked to Region B.
Yet more reason to buy a region-free machine, or one which can be converted such as my Oppo.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
James White on restoring the film for this release (How to Get Ahead in Advertising is also included, which he has also restored in 2K):

http://arrowvideodeck.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/restoring-withnail.html?m=1
As so many have only seen the film on video or TV, there's been a popular long-held assumption that the film was shot on 16mm, owing to its grainy, murky appearance on video. I'm happy to report that this is most definitely not the case, as Withnail was beautifully shot on 35mm by Peter Hannan, whose credits include The Meaning of Life, Insignificance, Dance with a Stranger and The Razor's Edge, as well as assistant work on Wake in Fright, Walkabout, Performance and 2001: A Space Odyssey. (I'd been fortunate to have worked with Peter a few years ago on the BFI Flipside double-bill of Duffer and Moon Over the Alley.)

As this restoration project allowed us access to scan the original camera negative, we were able to produce an image that improves substantially over any and all previous editions of Withnail in terms of sharpness, depth and detail, including the film's original theatrical release. Peter Hannan worked with us for several days overseeing the grade from start to finish, tweaking each shot to his rigid specifications so as to be exactly how he had first shot them. Peter revealed that a number of scenes had always been timed incorrectly during initial printing, making this scene too bright or another too yellow, etc., so this project provided him and us the opportunity to restore Withnail's colour palette back to what was always intended.

Once grading was completed we restored the image back to its original glory, removing every speck, mark, wobble, frame jump and scratch that the original elements had acquired during their 27 years of storage. Once joined with its original soundtrack, the result is a fresh, new version of Withnail that emerges from its previous dusty, grey video incarnations with all its beautiful grain, details and original colours on full display. For the first time, watching Withnail, one really does feel what it was like to be in Penrith on that cold, wet weekend.
For the record, the version on Amazon has the exact same disc and book content as the version Arrow are offering through their website, but it is non-personalised. The Arrow website version offers a choice of covers, and a personalised quote (and your name) for the front of the set. It can be ordered here:

http://arrowvideo.com/withnailandi/

The non-personalised version is cheapest at Base.com:

http://www.base.com/buy/product/withnail-and-i-limited-edition-dual-format-blu-ray-dvd/dgc-fcd1007.htm

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Arrow are doing fantastic work (Time Bandits is also a stunning restoration), but I do echo Robert Harris' concerns that such restoration work should involve a 4K scan of the original negative toward a video master, to produce archival elements. I ordered with the "We want the finest wines available to humanity" quote. My friends still say this every time we try to order in a tea shop.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
titch said:
Arrow are doing fantastic work (Time Bandits is also a stunning restoration), but I do echo Robert Harris' concerns that such restoration work should involve a 4K scan of the original negative toward a video master, to produce archival elements. I ordered with the "We want the finest wines available to humanity" quote. My friends still say this every time we try to order in a tea shop.
I would love 4K scans of both films in this release, but I'm not sure that's a realistic expectation, at least at this point. For Hollywood studio films, sure, but this is a comparatively small British film, made as recently as 1987. I don't think we have to worry about preserving it at 4K right now, as we would with many of the films Mr. Harris is concerned with. In time, when 4K scanning costs come down and become more prevalent, then we can ask that of Arrow. For now, we are still only dealing with 1080p output anyway.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
It is not Arrow's job to be preserving other companies' films. Arrow have done new 2K OCN scans of films from the catalogs of Fox, Universal, HandMade Films and others, where those studios have not wanted to. We should be thanking Arrow for that effort, instead of damning with faint praise. Direct criticism of the lack of proper preservation to the owners.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Wow that sounds very tempting. I might've gone with a personalized set if design 1 was still available. Otherwise, it's far too expensive. Hopefully they'll release a disc-only version in the future. Or maybe Criterion has the rights to "Withnail & I" and "How to Get Ahead in Advertising" again?

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Has design one gone? I must check; it's the one I ordered.. however, I think you'll find that design one is the 'standard' design which is still available at a cheaper price via Amazon.co.uk .. you get the same except the personalised name and quote.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I just read on another 'blu' forum a review, by Svet Atanasov, of this relesase -- at least, of the blu ray disc, but not the rest of the special edition.
And it's a glowing review, fulll of praise for the new transfer. It augurs well ... can't wait for it to arrive.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Ray H said:
Wow that sounds very tempting. I might've gone with a personalized set if design 1 was still available. Otherwise, it's far too expensive. Hopefully they'll release a disc-only version in the future. Or maybe Criterion has the rights to "Withnail & I" and "How to Get Ahead in Advertising" again?
Wouldn't surprise me, Arrow's release of Time Bandits led to Criterion's two years later.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Lord Dalek said:
Wouldn't surprise me, Arrow's release of Time Bandits led to Criterion's two years later.
Was thinking the same thing. Withnail and I is already part of the Criterion Collection on DVD, so a Criterion blu-ray is only a matter of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks