New Leather Couch Care?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoshF, Oct 10, 2002.

1. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

So the new leather couch just arrived. It's beautiful, and I'd like to try to keep it that way for a long time.

Anyone have any advice on care and maintenance of a high-grade black leather couch & ottoman?

Thanks in advance!

-josh

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

An occasional massage with a good leather conditioner will do a great job at helping the leather retain its suppleness. For general cleaning, use distilled water...NEVER tap water. The minerals can and will eventually harden and/or affect the leather. Same goes for all leather products.
    I also have a black leather couch and love seat. They are about 12 years old yet still look great thanks to my GF being a cleaning pro!!!

3. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Take it or leave it advice, since different people are happy with different methods.
    I've had a Highest grade, hand-tied, Deep,deep navy couch for around 6 (?) or so years. It gets abused with teenage, wet/dirty/greasy (working on cars) boys caught sitting on it (for just a minute while I eat this, Mom, ..sorry) more often than not.
    My mother has several pieces of leather and my MIL, who has spent boo kuo's on expensive imported English/German cleaners/moisturizers/conditioners.

I've handled abused/dirty leathers all my life, trying most of the different products on the market for cars/fine furniture/or equine equipment, over the years...(horses).

Tried and true for me, for an 'indoor' leather. Find a bottle of liquid glycerin soap, (no additives, the color of the bar or liquid will be slightly golden.) A feed store is best for the form of glycerin I'm referring to. The bar form works but is more troublesome to wet. A spray bottle of the liquid will last years.

Dampen a washcloth, spray the glycerin on the rag, and lightly soap the couch. Rinse the washcloth, wring till just damp and wipe clean till the cloth displays no more grime.

The glycerin leaves a moisturizing feel behind which is not greasy but keeps the leather conditioned over years of hard use. My couch, which wins the terribly stressed award, continues to look better than my (2) mother's many show pieces lightly used. And the leather remains more supple than theirs though I have never used any product other than the glycerin, (no separate conditioners) on this particular piece of furniture.

It's cheap, its easy, and it works. When I have time I use this routine once a month.

4. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Thanks for the advice; so far I've been scared to sit on the thing. I still have the old couch opposite it that we're keeping for some out of town guests who come in a couple weeks (God forbid they sleep on the new leather, right?).

I'll try to find some liquid glycerine soap in the city, which may be a bit difficult.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I like leather, because it's pretty darn durable.
    I inherited a leather overstuffed chair, it's going on 15 years old now and looks like new (trust me, it was a hard 15 years, lots of use)
    the occasional cleaning and care not to plop down on a pen or something sharp that could scratch or puncture it is about all I worry about.

6. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

So far, so good. I'm actually sitting on it regularly now. The fear has worn off. This thing is COMFY!