What's new

New LCD HD -- What's With This White Noise Band? (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Welcome! I've moved your thread to the Display Devices area. It might help if you indicated the make and model of your LCD.

As you wish, but please put all the separate messages in this one thread.

M.

i_am_jim

Grip
Real Name
jim

Even when they are completely unrelated topics? Does this mean that each participant here is required to post all of the messages they initiate in a single thread?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Of course not. I thought you were saying you had many questions about your new LCD TV (make and model still unknown). To the extent you want to ask questions about that device, this is the thread.

M.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

For some channels broadcast in SD (standard definition), there is a bit of information at the top that is usually masked by the overscan of SD TVs of the past. Nowadays, with the newer LCD HDTVs, they don't have any overscan, so you see all of the stuff that is usually hidden by overscan of older TVs for the non-HD programming.

i_am_jim

Grip
Real Name
jim
I take it from your reply there is no way to get rid of this stuff. Is that correct?

---
Samsung LN46A550

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
It's not just SD programming. 4:3 HD programming will sometimes see this as well. A good example is OTA HD local channels. Mine all have garbage at the top of the screen if it's a 4:3 broadcast. I have not seen it with 16:9.

I do not know of any flat-panel display with an overscan adjustment (although some of our respected ISF calibrators and TV gurus might). There may be a scroll adjustment in the setup menu of the TV which would allow you to move the picture up slightly, but I have not seen a user accessable scoll adjustment which works for any picture mode except zoom mode.

Much like the old mantra for widescreen images, "Watch the picture, not the bars", this still applies today. "Watch the incredible HD picture, not the trash at the top of the screen."
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

i_am_jim

Grip
Real Name
jim
Thanks for the replies.

Black bars are easier to ignore than dancing white lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yacubjkc
Recent bookmarks