New Law & Order: Trial By Jury

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by chuck_b, Mar 5, 2005.

1. chuck_b

chuck_b Supporting Actor

After two episodes the jury still is out for me.

I love the franchise and marvel at the way they been able to keep multiple L&O concepts moving forward, but kind of unclear where the new one is heading. In fact, I initially thought it was a semi-reality version when I first heard the title, like a similar one that had a run a over the last year on ABC.

What I have come away with however in the first two shows is that the BAR association must be freaking out. The defense attorney's are almost portrayed as the real criminals in these two shows and the suspense seems handicapped when the villains are so clearly exposed in their conspiracy with their attorney.

It is also a trip to see Lillith Frasier as the star DA and sure looks like the Ex-Senator Thompson negotiated for more air time. look forward to more episodes to see where it goes. It does have a great legacy to help it.

2. Roger_R

Roger_R Second Unit

Is this show censored when shown on NBC?
    At about 34:50 into the show, the defendant woman talks to the old dude and says: "Am I gonna hear something here that's gonna hurt us?" and he replies with: "I called her a s....sh..". Was that a horrible censoring job or just the sound going out for a second? [​IMG]

3. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

You know, though, my wife & I were talking about this.. one good thing about the L&O series is that they are all fundamentally different from each other.

Whereas, on the other hand, CSI is the exact same show, just in different cities.

Not saying I dislike CSI, we PVR both of them, but so far, I've been impressed with how they have grown the L&O franchise.

So far, jury is still out on LO:TBJ, but there is a lot about it I like as well.

4. chuck_b

chuck_b Supporting Actor

Chris,

I agree about the L&O vs. CSI franchise differences. The CSI trio simply uses a different cast, location (and lighting) to repeat the same basic stories. I still like the original CSI (Las Vegas) best mainly because of the excellent cast, especially William Peterson.

The L&O franchises really only used the same opening music and sub-titled location marker. Otherwise, they all feel very different and really only share good writing and stand out starring casts. I am still amazed the writing can still stay good after all these years and they have a knack for fictionalizing a never ending well of real crimes.

5. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

I dunno, Grissom is a science man, Caine is a cowboy, and Taylor is a soldier. Further, the three fanchises do a passable job of capturing their setting. Vegas glitzy, Miami sun-drenched and full of hardbodies, NY stark and cold.
    The science segments are the same, but they have to be because science is regimented. If the guys in NY were doing fingerprints and DNA different than in Vegas, the lawyers would have a field day over which methodology was better.
    You'd never see Grissom playing H's tough guy role. He relies on his faith in the scientific method to do his tough talking.
    You'd never see H all wonky about the gestation periods of nematodes.
    The differences in the L&O franchises are greater because there is inherently more fluidity in the larger landscape of investigation and prosecution, than the subset of forensics.
    Think of it like monopolies. There are vertical monopolies [Walmart having it's hand in retail, wholesale, fuel, banking, credit, etc] and horizontal monopolies [The oil tycoons of the turn of last century cornering the market in a single commodity].
    Likewise, each L&O has a vertical monopoly on the type of crime it centers on, sexual crimes, complex mastermind "Columbo' crimes, run of the mill murders.
    And each CSI has a horizontal monopoly on all crime in a setting. From simple murder to a byzantine conspiracy all right in Las Vegas, or Miami or NY.

6. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

Just watched the second episode. It's too bad that Jery Orbach won't be around any more.

When the FBI agent read the transcript about Hernandez being suspected of corruption, I immediately thought, "if I were prosecuting this case, I'd jump up and state that there are sure to be multiple people named Hernandez in the police force." Sure enough, after some digging around, Kiper used that tactic, but I was disappointed that the prosecution took so long to respond to that situation. Just a cheap way to stretch out the drama IMO.

However, it was good seeing Carey Lowell in her short scene. She looks like she hasn't aged a day since she left the original L&O. I assume we'll be seeing her in a future episode, but I think it would really be interesting if she showed up trying one of Jack McCoy's cases on the original show.

7. Mark Maltais

Mark Maltais Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    So far so good, not quite what I expected but not disapointing either, I'll keep tuning in [​IMG]

Any idea who's going to replace Orbach? This might have been good for Noth to come back too, but last I heard he'll be making regular appearances on CI. I think this would have been a bette venue for him.

8. chuck_b

chuck_b Supporting Actor

Mark,

I agree, however this L&O format seems less focused on the detective investigation part and more on the attorneys and the actual trial. The original L&O spends at least the first half of the show on the "police who investigate the crimes". I would rather see more of Noth and this show may not have the framework for his role.

I thought Noth's CI visits were going to increase and if D'Onofrio continued with health issues he would step in full time?

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I believe Noth has one more CI episode this season, and then come fall he and D'onofrio will alternate weeks - Episode 1 will have Goren & Eames, Episode 2 will have Logan & ... well, I assume a different partner. Also, I think they're both signed for 12 episodes so it'll either be a 24-episode season or there will be episodes with both characters (premiere and finale, perhaps).

And I don't know if they will replace Briscoe; that he's not in the final cast photo suggests that they'll just go with the other guy.

10. Mark Maltais

Mark Maltais Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    Well the first part still has detectives running around investigating for the crowns...I mean prosecutors, they could easily expand on that but then again that would turn it into a normal L&O series...Oh well!

11. Lisa Menin

Lisa Menin Agent

Scott Cohen is coming into Trial by Jury to replace Jerry.

12. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Anytime Bebe Neuwirth wasn't on the screen I was bored to tears. By telling us that the defendent did it and how he did it by the 30 minute mark, it really took a lot of the fun out of it.

I won't be tuning in to the next episode (in fact I erased Friday's ep off my DVR without watching it). A big [​IMG]

13. josh4040

josh4040 Second Unit

I enjoyed seeing tony soprano's ex Annabella Sciorra as the defense council in the first episode, I hope they bring her back for more episodes. I love the idea of this show, I think there should be more JURY though and how long till we someone who is actually innocent?

14. Nathan_F

Nathan_F Second Unit

Nathan
    "By telling us that the defendent did it and how he did it by the 30 minute mark, it really took a lot of the fun out of it."

I agree.. to an extent. If the case had not finished the same way (victory for the State), I think we'd feel differently. I think we've been set up. I have a feeling we're going to see a clear cut case not turn out so well for Bebe. Everyone involved will know the guilt of the defendant, except the jury. The judge/the law is going to limit what the jury can hear, and since they don't have all the information, they'll acquit.

15. Evan M

Evan M Second Unit

I didn't like the first episode... there is no way he should have been convicted and I can't believe that a Jury would be that stupid. I certainly hope that I never get on trial by jury, if that's they way they really are.

I kinda liked the insight into jury selection, which is something you never see mentioned in other L&O shows. And the glimpse in the Jury room was nice, but too short. There should have been more argument shown and reasoning of the jury to the extent of exploring the reasonable doubt.

Almost felt like they didn't think they could get away with returning an innocent verdict, after letting us all see that he definitely did it and his attitude about it and all. It just really disappointed me, I guess.

Haven't bothered watching the 2nd ep yet.

16. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

So, caught this weeks ep. The show isn't a bad premise.. however, I think every so often they need to mix in a truly innocent defendant, which would help make it interesting.

17. TimTV

TimTV Extra

Last week, the basketball player was innocent.

18. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I must have missed something.

19. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

The wife was testifying about a telephone conversation with the deceased 'girlfriend' of her husband, when she lashed out to the effect of "well when someone tells you TO YOUR FACE that they're going to take your man away," leading to the sense that she had gone to girlfriend's apartment that night, making her a much more likely suspect. But the BB player refused to roll on her and took his chances with the jury. He was convicted, but the sense from the story told was that he took the fall for his jilted wife.

20. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott