What's new

new LA CONFIDENTIAL: any reviews? (1 Viewer)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Any insight about P/S quality of the new (or, almost released) 2-disc of LA CONFIDENTIAL? Should I re-buy?

Thanks for insight!

MC

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Hey, thanks! Great review, I really appreciate it.

Shame about this. The new box art is so awesome I feel like re-buying it anyway. But, I'll just stick with the original version, I guess.

MC

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll grab this since I never got around to buying the original, I'll just wait for it to go super cheap first.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Mine will be up in the next day or two. I haven't read Colin's review, but his synopsis above is pretty close to my feelings. Great movie, not much of an upgrade A/V-wise, very good extras.

Regards,

Aragorn the Elfstone

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Wow, that's disappointing. :frowning: I was looking forward to picking this up. The cover art really caught my eye. ;) That's not enough, however, to get me to double dip (nor are the extras). I guess I'll be holding on to my old disc.

Glad I didn't sell it off yet.

Aragorn the Elfstone

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
btw, what's up with WB? They used to be so dependable with their transfers. Every since Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, they've been a mixed bag. Their transfers for Batman Begins, V for Vendetta, Troy: DC, Hamlet (to name a few) have been stellar, while the newer HP movies, The Departed, Letters from Iwo Jima, Michael Clayton (and now seemingly L.A. Confidential) have been disasters, containing an endless amount of dot crawl, pixelation, etc.

If this is Warner Bros way of trying to force me into Blu-ray, nice try - but no. :thumbsdown: Pretty much every other studio is doing stellar transfers on their DVDs that, while not Hi-Def, still offer solid images on my HDTV.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Ken, I'm curious.

It sounds like the two deleted scenes were not included here. Were they and did I miss that from Colin's review?

(The two scenes are a bedroom conversation between Guy Pearce and Kim Basinger, and a party confrontation between Kevin Spacey and Ron Rifkin)

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman

I wouldn't discount your supposition because I've noticed the same thing of late in almost every WB transfer. And we all know they're certainly trying to force people into Blu-Ray with their crass decision to only have the Smilebox How The West Was Won on the Blu-Ray.

I'll wait to read some other reviews of LA Confidential - I don't love the film - it's nowhere near Chinatown, which it so clearly wants to be like, but I like parts of it okay. But how disappointing to hear the image is not really upgraded from a 1998 transfer - that's really pretty shameful, IMO. It also seems like there are only a handful of new extras, so I'm not sure an upgrade is in order. I was hoping to read raves but alas if Colin's review is to be believed, it's not a DVD I'll need to buy.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

The only way they're there is if Colin missed them! He's not perfect, but he's pretty sure the deleted scenes ain't there... :D

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
It was my understanding that it was a misprint when they stated that deleted scenes would be included.

I was really disappointed when I found out, as that was what I was most looking forward to with this latest release.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It's too bad the new disc isn't better, but as the initial pressing was notorious for failures (my disc among them) I'm glad to have a new and working edition. I'd like WB to revisit the similarly glitchy CONTACT besides.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
You were unlucky. L. A. Confidential was one of the first DVDs I bought. I have never had any problem with my disc which I watched again a few weeks ago.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
There was a whole "disc rot" scare a couple years ago, I guess, right? I've never had a problem with my LA CONF or CONTACT discs. (Of course, as I type this they are "rotting away" on my DVD shelf and the next time I pop them in they will be "rotten." But I hope not.)

I'm just disappointed that they go thru the trouble of re-releasing something like LA CONF, especially in this nice new packaging, and it's nothing new and better. What's the point? Extras?

I just want the film looking stellar in SD. Instead of wasting my time with pointless re-releases, why not re-release some of the things that need a good re-release? I just don't undertstand it sometimes.

No sale.

MC

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Is it really the exact same transfer ported over to this new disc?

If so, that's ridiculous. Especially considering how long we've waited for an upgrade and how WHV hyped this release in last year's chat. Why would they not do a brand new high def transfer for such a popular and marketable film?

Iit's gotta be a step up from the TCM broadcast I've currently got recorded so I'll finally pick this up but I can't say I'm rushing to the store for my copy anymore. It's going down the wish list along with a handful of others that I'll eventually get around to.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

IMO, no - I thought the new transfer was cleaner. However, it seemed blockier to me. So I thought the two transfers were DIFFERENT but neither seemed superior to the other...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, if you don't have the old disc, I definitely recommend the new one. IMO, it's only worth a double-dip if you want the extras, though. I do like the supplements a lot...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Righ
Recent bookmarks