New KP-57WS510 Problems

Discussion in 'Displays' started by ClaytonMG, Jan 4, 2004.

1. ClaytonMG

ClaytonMG Stunt Coordinator

I just got this TV yesterday, and thought it would be excelent. I should've known better. Every single TV I've gotten from Best Buy has had issues.

First problem: There are lines in the whites. I am using a Sony 5-disc progressive scan DVD player with THX certified monster component cables. The picture looks like it's interlaced for some reason. I have the DVD player set to 16:9 and set on progressive.

Second Problem: The only place I really noticed this was at the beginning of chapter 3 on the Finding Nemo DVD. The background colors are like rounded off. It looks like when you push something against glass and it looks flat. It's really hard to explain.

Third Problem: There are shadows on darker objects. Like stright lines about a half an inch to the right of the image.

Any suggestions on any of this? It's my 3rd TV from Best Buy (we had a warranty and the first 2 TV's had huge problems too) and I am sick of having to deal with things like this. So if there's something I can do I'd like to do it. I read tons of reviews before getting this TV and couldn't find any complaints.

Clayton

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

1-normal, this tv like all crt based sets still has scanlines. They're just closer together due to line doubling. Should not be noticeable more than 8 feet or so from the screen.

2-If you only see this on Finding Nemo, it's not the tv's fault. Probably the way this movie is supposed to look. They made quite an effort to make underwater scenes look real.

3-this is called "ghosting" and can be minimized by turning the sharpness down to less than 1/2, and using Pro or Movie mode to minimize SVM. It's more prominent on poor sources. Go back to the store and look at a lot of tvs, you'll see it on most sets to some extent.

3. ClaytonMG

We're sitting about 12 feet away from the TV. I have the sharpness way down also and i still have those shaddows. Hopefully you're right about the Finding Nemo thing. I just never noticed it before so it made me wonder about it. Another thing I noticed is the grey scale is off. When using the THX Optimizer to set the brightness, I noticed that the 3rd block 7 blocks you use to see the progression from light to dark is a really dark yet dominating grey which it's not supposed to be. Any idea on how to fix that?

4. ClaytonMG

By the way, is it safe to use Windex on this TV? It has a screen shield.

5. ClaytonMG

OK, i have it set to pro and now the lines in the whites are hardly visible (WOOHOO!) but the shadows are really bad still. Anything else i can do?

6. John S

John S Producer

Your getting shadows on DVD's?
    Almost always some sort of interference or cable problem, those shadows are anyways.

You have verified your convergence right???

7. Justin_T

Justin_T Stunt Coordinator

Maybe a line cleaner? Do those power strip line cleaners actually make that much of a difference? I know they are good to have to clean up the signal from sources, but are they necessary?

8. ClaytonMG

I am getting the shadows on DVD's and my convergence is set right (took forever to do it since there's 63 crosshairs to line up). The cables I am using are the THX Monster component cables. They're right near an outlet, not sure if that would matter or not.

9. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Don't use Windex. Get a product called Sprayway glass cleaner, comes in a blue and white aerosol can. Spray the stuff on a clean soft white cotton cloth or soft white paper towel (I use bounty) then wipe the screen gently. This stuff is ammonia-free and leaves no film. Also great for getting road film off your windshield.