New Klipsch sub, are they any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick L, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

I saw they have new "Reference" series subs out. In particular I was looking at the RSW10. It sounded pretty good in the room I was in. Does anyone have any reviews of them? I am in the market for a new sub and was previously looking at a DefTech 12". But I thought I would check this one out since it was new.

Thanks for any input.

Nick L

PS and yes I know I can get an SVS for that much, but I can't fit one into the room.

2. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

What about an HSU VTF-3 or VTF-2 or an Adire Dharman. I have heard the RSW-10,12 and 15 and I didn't think they were that great. They just don't go low enough for HT IMO.

I compared the RSW-12 to the Mirage BPS-400 and there was no comparison for me. The Mirage seemed to go Much lower with more presence. I ended up with the Mirage BPS-400.

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I own Klipsch reference speakers, but opted not to use their subs because of reliability issues that were posted over at the Klipsch.com message board. I have a Hsu VTF-2 and it has served me very, very well, both musically and cinematically. I would bet that a comparably priced Hsu would sonically best a Klipsch. If I were you though, I'd go over to the above mentioned Klipsch boards and post you question there. Those guys seem to know everything Klipsch and some know it very well.

4. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Just a note about the quality of Klipsch subs. The only quality issues they've had are with their LF-10 subs, none other.

As far as a sub goes, I'd probably opt for one of the offerings from Hsu Research or Adire Audio if you want the low end punch the Klipsch can't give.

5. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

ACTUALLY, I think that SVS Tom knows the design and designer of Klipsch' new RSW line...I have been impressed (much more than the LF series)....I think it's funny that if you posted a question about any sub on this forum, the first or second post would be mentioning SVS OR HSU, etc.....not a criticism , just a humorous observation ....