New KEF ref line

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Padua, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Steve Padua

Steve Padua Auditioning

Has anyone heard the new reference line from KEF?
    I have been listening to the new q7's with Q1's as surround and they are very good for the $. The ref line are expensive, but I presume sounding very accurate ala' B$W.
    The smallest floor model Ref 203 is $3500.
    My local dealer says they are way backordered from the factory, so will not be able to get one for "awhile".
    The Q's are made in China like the Diva's. The refs back in England. Just wondering on their sound...No B$W dealers nearby...If I get the Q's I just might be up that upgrade path in the near future, and maybe I can avoid this.
    Steve[​IMG]

2. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Hi Steve. I heard the 201's at a local dealer for 3-4 hours with my own demo material. It was these speakers that first off made me reexamine my room and my choice of speakers. Meaning that my PSB Goldi's were very good but I could do better in terms of musical playback.
    The sound of the 201's is wonderful. I listened to this source material when I heard the speakers:
    George Duke - After Hours
    Norah Jones - Come Away with Me
    Chesky's sampler - Starring Rebecca Pigeon
    (On my second visit)
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    Dianne Reeves - Tribute to Sarah Vaughn
    Acoustic Heaven - compilation
    How do they sound? Well with Norah Jones (vocalist) her album is recorded in a way that leaves her slightly raspy voice out there for all to hear, to like or to love it for what it is. The 201's had no problem revealing every nuance of her speech techniques and heavy breathe between her spaced out but never empty songs. The 201's were very 'detailed' (we'll visit that word again later on) and competent in delivering the goods on Norah's voice. The same can be said for Dianne Reeves and her vocals that are recorded differently and also has a different quality than Norah's. Norahs is slightly raspy and Dianne's is sweet honey and regardless which one was playing the 201's gave it to you in spades.
    To get a reference of full body music, I chose George Dukes's 'After Hours' CD. Whew!! What a piece of work and by George(pun intended) I think he's got it on this album. Smooth liquid jazz with lush lowend and chords to match but with excellent seperation between the instruments and never sounding muddy. I was able to really appreciate how much musical effort was put into this recording before but with the 201's it was like going from a 27" TV to large screen TV. Every thing is spelled out for you so much clearer. What stood out while playing the "From Dusk till Dawn" track was that the thump from the kick drum was 'tight' and kept the pace and bounce going from the beginning of the song. The second track titled "Sweet Dreams" is heavy on the bass and accompanied by a free fingered George Duke on the piano. The wrong speakers would fail to properly show how the two musicians play together as well as off of each other. The lowest octaves obviously aren't retrieved by this bookshelf version of the Reference model but it was able to capture all but the lowest octaves at normal listening levels without sounding muddy. Depending on what you listen too will determine how bad you need a sub and for some music types (acoustic and Vocal) you may go without a sub indefinitely. The 201's easily displayed a level of performance that forced me to come to grips on a point that I will make shortly. The speakers also had the ability to totally disappear and the soundstage was also very huge.
    Any negatives? Well I thought that sometimes the 201's reminded me of my father in that he never left out any details when discussing anything or giving orders to my brother and me. No loop holes or small print here!! [​IMG] With the 201's, I sometimes got the sense that the music was a little less musical because of the 201's revealing nature and detail. They tended to keep showing me new aspects of my music that I clearly didn't notice before but after a while I was saying "OK OK OK, I just want to put my brain on cruise and chill". Ear fatigue? (Hmmm... I scratch my chin) Nope, Far from it. However, if you consider yourself a critical listener then give these speakers a try because they have a lot to tell you and will not leave out any detail in regards to what's on your source material. I also took into consideration that the associated gear (Bryston gear in particular) could've had a hand in the overall sound and presentation of the speaker. Especially because some consider the BP20 and Bryston amps detailed in nature so the KEF's could just be revealing the nature of the associated equipment.
    Would I buy them? If I had the money, yes I would. However for $3,000 I wouldn't do so without hearing some other offerings by competing companies. With the 201's, it's not if they are good speakers or not, but more about how much are you willing to pay to get the scoop, the whole scoop and nothing but the scoop without leaving out any of the details.
    Associated Equipment:
    Bryston BP-20 -Pre amp
    Bryston 4B - Power amp
    Harmonic Technology - Pro Silway's
    Monster M2.4-bi-wired -Speaker Cable
    Marantz SA-14 SACD player
    Additional notes:
    -Room Size (unmeasured) 24 X 17 x 9
    -Acoustic wall treatments were used as well as bass traps in each corner.
    -Speakers were placed (unmeasured) 4-5 feet from the back wall and were the same for the side walls.
    -Speakers did not share the same wall with any other speakers.
    I hope I have been of some help to you and encourage you to hear these speakers. It was after hearing these speakers that reopened my eyes to bookshelf speakers and the performance that comes along with a very good quality speaker of it's size.

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Martice, great review. If you could sum up these speakers in a single word, would you describe them as forward, or laid back in nature. Do you know what kind of tweeter they use? Titanium, or soft/silk dome? I am very interested in these simply because they are so damn beautiful, but at $3,000 a pair, that's pricey if you wanted to also use them for dual music/HT applications. Did you listen to these for HT and if so what are your thoughts?

4. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

5. Steve Padua

Steve Padua Auditioning

Martice,

Thanks for lending me your ear. I have listened to the psb

silvers recently and I understand its nice mid range. And it can get better? The psb stratus' were on my list till I heard the K$F's, at least the Q's.

yes...I will have to listen to more speakers. I plan to be in Denver next week for the "Lion King" and I plan to re listen to the paradigm ref 100's and B$W nautilus 804's, BTW the B$W 804's are priced near the 201 and are just as beatiful and a floor stander...have you compared the two?

Steve

6. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Unfortunately, I have not heard the B&W's so I couldn't give you my assessment of the two. In the case of the 201's, I think they would be on my list of speakers to seriously consider if I had the cash.

My only regret is that I didn't hear them with tube gear.

I think I would've fallen over and croaked if the performance was anything near that of what the solid state performance was through the 201's.