New KEF Q Series

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Vickroy, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Tim Vickroy

Tim Vickroy Extra

I was wondering if anyone out there has purchased any of the new KEF Q Series speakers (Q1, Q3, Q5, Q7, etc)? If so, what is your general application (mostly HT or mostly Hi-Fi) and what has been your overall satisfaction rating with the speakers? Also, with which speakers did you compare them before you purchased and what made you finally go with the KEFs. I am in the market for a new set of L&Rs and these are definitely on my short list. Thanks in advance for the feedback. [​IMG]

2. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

I own the Q35s, and recently auditioned their new Q series. I didn't set up an A/B comparison between the two, and mainly auditioned the Refs, but they sounded in the same general area as my Qs, probably with some improvements that would have been noticeable with an A/B. There was a huge improvement with the new Refs over the old Refs, and I would expect that at least some of these improvements have been rolled into the new Q line as well.

I would say my music/movie breakdown would be around 60/40. I've found that for movies, I don't really care too much about the sound, as long as everything is clear and distortion free. I've come to the conclusion that if it sounds good with music, it will sound good with movies, and have therefore primarily demoed music when speaker demoing.

I have been extremely happy with my Q35s, and would expect similar things of the Q3s. From my auditioning this weekend, I would say if space isn't a consideration, go with one of the tower models, rather than the Q1s, since to me there was a noticeable difference in fullness/immersion between the two speakers. I have come to really enjoy the Kef sound, and at the time when I was doing serious auditioning, I listened to Paradigms(can't understand the HTF fascination), Atlantic Technology, PSB, Mirage, and some others as well. As someone who played the violin for many years, one of the main things I'm listening for when demoing is detail and accuracy of the reproduction of stringed instruments. At the same price range, I found most of the other brands just didn't sound as 'right'.

3. george king

george king Supporting Actor

John summed it up really well (as usual). IMO the biggest improvement in the new Qs is that the bass is better - deeper and tighter. Up until now, this was the biggest problem with the Q series, but not any longer. You still need a sub for the last bit of oomph, but it is not as critical.

Hope this helps.