What's new

New Keepcase version of Willy Wonka!! (1 Viewer)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I'm glad they are re-releasing some of their movies in keepcases. I hope they add the Free Willy films to the list.

Can you tell me where you got this information?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't mind snappers, but I guess it's just as well I never got around to buying this. I wonder if they'll be adding promo material for the new movie, and maybe a ticket or two.

Colby

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Colby
Cool. I mean, I won't be buying it again or anything, but it's good to know it's out there. :)

Is this the first re-issue like this from Warner? I know New Line's been doing this for a while, but I don't recall any Warner releases like this. Oh, and do they plan on re-releasing the...ahem...other version of this DVD as well?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Yes Colby, that, other version, is also listed on Amazon for presale. Now let's never speak of it again.

:)

Joe:C

Second Unit
I wonder if Goonies has been released in a keepcase? Amazon has it listed as a keepcase, but I've only seen snapper verions in stores.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I may be reading too much into it (and frankly I wouldn't buy this anyways because I'm happy with the snapper version), but the banner at the top only says "Widescreen Edition." The banner on the current SE snapper version says "Special Widescreen Edition." Could they be dropping the extras on the new keepcase release?

Here's the snapper cover:

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Also, have they repackaged the fullscreen version in a keepcase? This is one film where I prefer the fullscreen to the widescreen, as the widescreen mattes far too much off the top and bottom, including church spires and Wonka's lovely top hat.

Edit: ok, just noticed my question has already been answered re: this "unspeakable" version.

I still say the framing is better unmatted, nyah nyah nyah. ;)

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Well, since the snapper widescreen release was originally the result of a massive fan petition, it truly was a "special widescreen release" in that respect. I think the lack of the "special" in the banner of new one is just a standardization thing...I'd doubt the disc is any different.

BTW, 'North by Northwest' is another confirmed sighting of a keepcase re-release. I noticed it around the time of Warner's magnificent Hitchcock boxset. The cover art is slightly re-configured as well. I seriously almost bought the thing again, but restrained myself. ;)

Colby

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Colby

I'm kinda surpirsed they even felt the need to after the original hullabaloo. Anywho, I checked Amazon and saw that at least this new release bears a "Full-Screen Edition" banner across the top, which is an improvement over the previous "plain" cover.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I think this is going to be a more common occurence. In addition to NBNW in the Hitchcock set, the recently released Doris Day set also featured two previous snappers redone as keep cases, and now utilizing the original poster art, which the snappers didn't. The upcoming Bette Davis and Joan Crawford sets also feature several snappers redone as keep cases. I'm willing to bet the content on the Wonka disc will be identical to the previous release, as that was the case with the Hitchcock and 2 Day redos.

I never minded the snappers, but I like having the uniformity of the new keepcase covers with the rest of my collection.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

the only thing i continue to dislike about the snappers is that i have to segregate them in my collection if i want to keep any kind of uniform look to the shelves.
as far as going to the trouble and expense just to get a amaray version- i think i will just hold off and wait to upgrade for HD instead

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
The contents as listed on Amazon for the new keepcase edition lists the exact same features as previous snapper editions. The only thing dropped on the reissues is the "Special Edition" branding on the cover art, which shouldn't make it any more or less of a Special Edition anyways...

Brandon, did you mean the upcoming SE of Giant in the Warners boxset will be released as a "keepcase"? To my knowledge, it was never previously packaged in a snapper... I believe it was originally offered in a 2-disc digipack case. I'm expecting it to be in an updated double slimline keepcase, I'm hoping.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
the pic up at amazon for Giant ("to be released on May 31") is indeed showing a keepcase.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The first dvd release of Wonka (not the Special Edition) didn't matte as much off of the top and bottom, and had more information on the sides.

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
Image Entertainment stopped using snappers awhile before Warner, and many of their older releases have since turned up in keep cases. I would imagine many of Warner's older releases will eventually be available in keep cases.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
I think some of the Steve McQueen discs from the new set are also repackaged (e.g. Papillon).

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

No kidding...well, looks like I'll be trying to find that one then. A shame the new widescreen version is so cropped, even on the sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks