1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

New JVC Progressive player question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dre J, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Dre J

Dre J Stunt Coordinator

Hello,
    My question is:
    Do the new JVC players (65, 95, etc.) allow interlaced (S-video or composite) video while outputting Progressive on the component outputs?
    Dre

2. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Dre,
    I've checked a few places for specs on either model listed and none of them mention parallel video output on these players (a la Toshiba).
    Didn't you just get a new DVD player? Are you already looking for another one?
    Troy
    ------------------

3. Tom_Hayes

Tom_Hayes Extra

I don't know...BUT:
    I have an 85 at home and there was no toggle switch on the back like my Pioneer had.
    I'll check for you tonight after I get home from work.
    I do like this player a lot.

4. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Tom,
    What the heck is the Model 85?
    I have heard of the 60/65 the 70/75 and the 90/95? I have seen nothing on the 85.
    Back to the question.....
    I think the way these were setup is composite is on all the time and if you use a button on the remote and hold it for some many seconds it switchs between s-video and component and which one of those is on. Then there is a simple push a button on the remote to go back and forth between interlaced and progressive.
    I am not 100% sure but I think that is the deal with them.
    Max
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
    Equipment Lists for My HTs
    Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
    Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

5. Dre J

Dre J Stunt Coordinator

Troy,
    I have the Toshiba SD6200 and A JVC 723GD. The Toshiba has retired to an upstairs TV. The JVC 723 is my main player. I like this player so much I'm considering getting the new model and moving this one upstairs. You would have to see the difference between the JVC and the Toshiba to believe it.
    I was playing around with measuring and custom adjusting my greyscale last night and I realized it would be nice if the unit would output both progressive component and interlaced S-Video / composite at the same time. Right now, on the 723 I have to flip the switch on the back of the unit. This makes fine Black level adjustment difficult.
    What I'm doing is setting the greyscale for Composite/ S-video, 480i component , and 480p component the same. I want tracking between the three inputs to be the same. I also want contrast, brightness, color, and tint to be the same. This can be done in the pioneer because of the very well though out service menu hierarchy. This adjustment will allow me to easily show the difference between S-video, interlaced component, and Progressive component at the next HT meet. The Elite is that good when all inputs are calibrated equally. S-video gives up some resolution on the 6.5 MHz circle in the AVIA resolution test. What I can't do is turn off the de-interlacer line doubler. I can turn off Pure Cinema 3:2 process though. This should be fun once I get everything dialed in.
    Tom,
    Thanks for taking the time to check. I'll be waiting for your response.
    Dre

6. Tom_Hayes

Tom_Hayes Extra

Well, since I can't around the back of my TV to plug in the S-video I can't say for sure. But I can tell you both component AND composite work at the same time.
    -Tom Hayes

7. Dre J

Dre J Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for letting me know Tom.
    Max,
    I never even saw your post until just now. HTF must have been loaded down a few hrs ago. Heck I didn't even see my own post.
    Thanks for the replies
    I'm off to get the 95 7 disk DVD A/V player
    Dre

8. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
  9. Tom_Hayes

Tom_Hayes Extra

I mistyped. It is a Model 75. Sorry for any confusion

10. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Charles,
    Best Buy has them in stock but only in gold. I have not seen any B&M stores carry the JVCs in Black.
    I am still kind of wondering what the 85 is?
    Dre,
    The forum was bogged down big time today. Posts would show up real late.
    Max
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
    Equipment Lists for My HTs
    Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
    Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!