New JVC DVD ProScan, DVD-A players?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulHeroy, Dec 10, 2001.

1. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

I'm curious if anybody has feedback about some of the new JVC DVD players. The XV-FA90BK (XV-FA95GD in gold) is a 7 disc carousel with progressive scan, DVD-A, and also plays virtually every other optical format (CD, CD-R, CD-RW, VCD, MP3). Etronics has this $499 MSRP unit for $289! That's quite tempting, but I haven't been able to find any reviews or comments on these two models or similar ones in JVC's lineup. (I think the 80/85 drop DVD-A, 70/75 are single disc, etc.)

2. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

*bump*

I know they aren't the Panny RP-91, but anybody?

3. Greg Rowe

Greg Rowe Stunt Coordinator

Greg
    I researched this player quite heavily since I wanted it very much. It's fatal flaw for me was that it can't do 7 disc random play. So, it wouldn't replace my current cd changer [​IMG]
    Also I have read that the interlaced output isn't as good as some other players in the same price range. This is important to me since I don't have an HDTV.
    This player does some odd things as well. You can play mp3 encoded discs and the titles are displayed on your TV. However you can only play the first 100 titles on a CDR. You can't play an mp3 encoded cdrw (why on earth is it that way??).
    Also it doesn't display "forced" subtitles correctly. This is apparent in Phantom Menace as well as some other CDs. I haven't found out if this is a problem with the DVDs or with the player. Many have pointed out that a lot of players have problems with these subtitles. The others apparently display the titles but incorrectly.
    If I didn't play my music in all-disc random play almost all the time I would have bought the player. I don't think I would have been able to notice any problems with the output (heck I'd be upgrading from a 13 inch tv/vcr combo!). The mp3 limitations don't bother me since I have a cheapo computer in my living room (no monitor or anything) for mp3s.
    If they just had 7-disc random play it would be in my living room ...sigh
    Greg

4. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

I plan on getting this player soon. There is not a lot of talk about these JVC changers on this forum. For the price, they look great to me. Hometheaterspot.com has specific forums set up for different manufacturers of equipment. You will probably find more information there under the JVC forum. The feature set and price for this player just look so good I have to try one out for myself. I will probably be ordering one in the near future.

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I have the 80K, same thing but won't do dvd-a. It's a great player at a great price, with lots of useful features.
    The interlaced output is affected by the pulldown setting, so you need to put the pulldown setting on "smart" so the player can decide whether to apply pulldown or not instead of relying on disc flagging which is iffy at best.
    This player replaced the highly regarded Panasonic A-320 interlaced player in my system, and for the first month was used with an analog tv. It's interlaced output was every bit as good as the Panny's was. Somebody who didn't know to set pulldown properly posted that interlaced output was bad, and the bad rep has stuck and is not deserved.

6. Greg Rowe

Greg Rowe Stunt Coordinator

Greg
    argh....now I am back to square one with my DVD player decision. I am now leaning towards the 70bk (single disc version of the 90bk).

I am glad to hear that the bad interlaced output could be a myth/configuration issue. I have been very happy with JVC products in the past and was surprised at how few people like JVC in home theater forums.

Greg