New JVC DVD-A players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom_Hayes, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Tom_Hayes

Tom_Hayes Extra

Sep 20, 2000
    I just went down to Circuit City and they had a new JVC player, which I bought (since I can always return it.)
    I haven't seen this mentioned and it's not on the JVC site yet.
    XV-SA75GD (Champagne) and XV-SA70BK (Black)
    Progressive Scan
    1024x Zoom (a little over kill)
    DD/DTS decoder
    VCD, MP3 decoding
    Came with Component Cables in the box.
    The picture seems good and the DVD-Audio works fine (albeit a little slow.)
    I only played with it for about an hour at the house but I'll be playing with it all week long for sure.
    Cost: $299
  2. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

Sep 14, 2000
    It appears to be the successor to the JVC 723. It adds CD-R/CR-RW and MP3 compatability. AFAIK all the progressive JVC players have the same picture quality (excellent) and de-interlacing (not good with video and poorly flagged DVDs) performance. They also scale non-anamorphic letterbox DVDs similar (but not exactly) to the Panasonic RP91. They also do not have the "chroma-bug".
    Even after reading the latest progressive DVD player shootout I still believe that the JVC players are the best low cost players on the market. For the vast majority of "normal" mainstream DVD titles they produce a picture that is as good as any other model. If you watch alot of non-mainstream DVDs you might want to consider a model that does a better job with video based material. I'd say for $300 you would be hard pressed to find any other progressive DVD/DVD-A model with similar features and performance.