New JVC D-ILA or Samsung DLP? Need advice...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by jasonSH, Aug 28, 2004.

1. jasonSH

jasonSH Auditioning

I can get the 52" JVC D-ILA set at my local Sears $2999 even or I can get the Samsung 46" DLP for 2799...(the Mitsubishi DLP is 3rd to me now)

One of my concerns is that I am a heavy PS2 Sports gamer (Madden) and have read on some boards about the lag which is caused when the Samsungs upconvert to 720, does anyone know if this is an issue with the JVC?

To me, I looked at both side by side in Sears with a standard channel, HDTV, and DVD picture and to me, the JVC looks much nicer! Also, the black boarder contributes to a richer picture as well I believe.

If anyone of you can give me a lil feedback on a recommendation it would be great, but I must forewarn you, I am by NO means a TV Guru.

My primary TV use is ESPNHD, HBOHD, a few weekly TV Shows (Raymond, George Lopez, CSI, Nip Tuck, etc..., most of which are in HD), 24hr news channels, PS2/Sports titles, and DVDs...

thanx

2. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

having seen these TV's side by side, it is clear to me than the DILA offers much better colour accuracy, and it's also a nicer looking set, IMO. JVC's theater pro mode really is very close to 6500k. On the other hand a DLP does offer better contrast and purer black, no question about that. I myself am torn between DLP and LCOS for this reason.

You do know that the 2005 samsungs have a black bevel?

3. jasonSH

jasonSH Auditioning

Are you referring to that new "Star Trek" lookin model thats built into the stand? I saw that one but wasn't all too impressed given the 4k plus range it falls into...

4. Jonathan Dagmar

its not built into the stand.

5. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

our store just got the new JVC's, and i have to say im far from impressed. we carry the samsung and mitsubishi. it sits right next to it with a dvd feed from a distro box doing component. all wired with audioquest yiq-1, fed from a denon dvd-5900.

the mitsu looks great, except for its "anti" glare screen has more glare than a mirror... the samsung looks like the samsung, and the jvc looks like crap. its colors are the WORST ive ever seen. everything has a purple hue to it. we have played with various test discs and test patterns and can never get it right. its blacks are also lack-luster.

i have a jvc d-ila training this thursday and i will address the issue with them and see what they have to say or offer. but, IMO, its a terrible product and doesnt live up the hype at all.

6. Jonathan Dagmar

i disagree entirely, robert. you are correct about the blacks, they are lacking, but IMO, not anymore than a standard LCD projo. On the other hand the colour accuracy on the theatre pro mode is far better than the other sets. I'm not sure if i would buy once this generation, i'd like to see the blacks imporved from the current dakr indigo colour, but I think it's a fantastic start, and the technology has a lot of potential.

7. jasonSH

jasonSH Auditioning

Welp...here I am, still undecided. I'm thinkin I'll go take another look at the 3 TV's side by side. Someone is also now telling me that going the projector route is a nice option too, but then I have to start all over because I know less about those then I know about the sets I'm looking at now.

I'm looking forward to your feedback after you attend the D-Ila training today to see if you pick anything up. I'm also somewwhat partial to JVC because I just picked up their 36" Flat CRT HDTV a few months back and the picture with the DVI input is outstanding!!!

Also, were it not for the "lag" being reported with the PS2 on Samsung sets, I'd probably go that route...but thats a big NO NO for me...

thanx for your feedback so far fellas...