What's new

New Jurrassic Park DTS versus Old... (1 Viewer)

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator
So....
Now that the new version is out, and the exchange program with Universal seems to be in high gear, I need to decide whether to trade or not...
I have seen a lot of comments that confuse me. What is the scoop: new better than the old, or just louder? If better, why?
thanks!
dave

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
It isn't necessarily LOUDER overall. But when there's a low frequency effect, the new version definitely rocks the house. The original didn't have the resounding boom of the T-Rex like I remember it in the theater, while the new one can quite literally recreate the vibrations in a water glass sitting on my coffee table, just like in the movie. Overall bass is about the same in both versions (meaning the score, etc. sounds the same)... but the LFE is definitely more pronounced in the newer pressing. I absolutely recommend you trade up on this one... because the new pressing is more like being there. That's about the best way I can describe it.

DanR

Supporting Actor
This new pressing uses an entirely different master. In my opinion (and this is one of my favorite movies which I've listened to countless times), the new version is superior to the old pressing in every way. It's not just in the LFE.
It's worth the upgrade, no question about it.
Regards,
Dan

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
I have to agree with Dan, the whole thing sounds great. It's much more what I remember from seeing it in the theater.
-EJ

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
If everyone remembers correctly, it was stated that Universal went to dts to ask to get the original dts soundtrack from laserdisc. It seems interesting to me only because all laserdisc were THX mastered. So, I guess to start a little controversy..."Was the laserdisc DTS/THX mastered? And if so, is that extra oomph part of THX mastering?" I just thought that I ask.
But definitely, it's the one to get.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I don't know about louder but it has way more bass than the old version did> I received mine 2 days ago.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

ChrisKe

Stunt Coordinator
As I recall, the T-Rex's effect on the water in the glass was a difficult effect to obtain....
They just didn't have the DVD!

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Is there a difference? Oh yes. Indeed there is. My friends and I have compared the two tracks. It's not even close. The new one totally outshines the original, as well as the Dolby Digital mix.
------------------
-J.Fo
"Why do I always get a warped one?"

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Trust me when I tell you this, it's a no-brainer, go get the new one!
Why are you still here? GO! :)
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!
[Edited last by John Williamson on October 05, 2001 at 10:42 AM]

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Still looking for answers????
Go get the new one. If you can't find it I've got one for $20 shipped. DVD Empire is a good place to get one since they were opening up the package to check for the proper files. This is where I got my extra(found my first at a Best Buy)
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Mark,
It's a completely different mix. It's like comparing apples to oranges. I'd still say the DTS is superior by far, but it has some moments where I think it's too forward in the score - YMMV! However, the LFE is spot-on and the high level detail on effects is much improved. Losing the extras for the (subjectively) better sound is a personal decision, though.
Matt
------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

Jeff

Supporting Actor
There were a lot of comparisons of the old JP DTS DVD vs the DTS LD. What about the new pressing vs the LD? Are they the same or does the LD still beat it?
Jeff

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
Believe it or not, i STILL don't have my repressed copy. I ordered it from DVDEmpire month ago, because they were the only ones who kinda checked to sent only the corrected ones.
In the meantime, they have informed me 3 times over those month that the order has shipped, only negate that info a day later that the stock was reported falsely and it did infact NOT ship. 3 times in several month!!!!!!!!
This has to be the worst customer service i have ever received (over ~650DVDs online). It is my first and LAST order with DVDEmpire.
As soon as i get the corrected title, i will measure it up against the rest (LD, old DVD...)
Regards
Bjoern
------------------
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity" (Bullet Tooth Tony in 'Snatch')
My HT in action (Screenshot Page) | My Ultimate 'Edge Enhancement' Guide | My DVD/LD SPL page

Gary.H

Stunt Coordinator
Is there something marked on the package to let you know whether you have the new dts version or not?
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks