What's new

New Joss Whedon show announced: Dollhouse (1 Viewer)

Derek_J

Stunt Coordinator
If Eliza wasn't entirely believable as a hostage negotiator, it sure seemed that was how the part was supposed to be played?!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I was underwhelmed as well, liked the slater show better, but I'll watch Ep 2, which I understand was the episode that was surposed to be the pilot, I'm hoping a sinmilar situation to Firefly when Fox made them Air Train Job as the Pilot and not Serenity.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Wow. They should have aired the first two episodes together, because the second one was flat out awesome.

I think we are starting to get clued in. It appears dollhouse has enough government friends they know about the status of the fbi investigation and feel its contained

And they've considered and done military training. So, it sounds like they may have some purpose we aren't totally clued in on yet.

Is there military / cia considerations happening here? Work on developing the truly scenario adaptive unit, which echo is ?

Looked fantasyic too. But great stuff. Sad that this and the pilot didn't air together in a double header.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
AAARRRGGGHH!!

This show was pre-empted in my area. Sombody died and they felt the need to have an hour press conference to tell us his family loved him.

I was told by the station that they are not going to show this episode.

And they wonder why they are loosing viewers to online..

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I agree, this episode was much better than the pilot. At least some of the backstory is filled in now so we have a better idea of what's going on. It has more of a Whedonesque feel to it now as well.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I really liked the first episode also, but wow, the second one was a hundred times better than that.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I can't recall a show where there was this big of a quality leap between episodes-- especially between episodes one and two.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
If that was so, they did a pretty good job in making the episodes flow one into the other. The Ballard material definitely followed from the first episode. Of course, they could have just moved that material around between 3 episodes when restructuring things.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Scott, I was really angry when they did that too. I'll just have to watch it online. I did watch Friday Night Lights, which for some reason was not "preempted". WTF?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Stephen DeKnight is a good writer, but he still needs work as a director.

Not sure what I thought of "The Most Dangerous Game" twist for this show. But it was weird to see The Middle Man as a psychopath.

Ethically, this show is sort of repulsive. Plus, I am not sure they've done a good enough job to have any of the characters truly rootable yet.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I was finally able to watch the episode on Hulu. Online streaming is not even close to being able to replace SD tv, let alone HD.

This episode was a vast improvement. I liked the first one, but the second episode really felt much more like what I was hoping for. It felt much more like Joss W. was involved.

It just shows that once again when the suits make you swap out Pilots, it will probably be a bad thing. You would think that Fox had learned this, but I guess not.

The only negative thing about this episode for me was that stupid gladiator type salute they were doing to symbolize shoulder to the wheel. It just seemed so awkward.

On a positive note, I thought the dialog was much more in the Joss style. It was a little more subtle than Buffy, but it was still thee.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member

Agreed. I'm watching the show because Whedon is involved but I'm having a hard time warming up to it. The repeating scenes where Echo gets out of the van in the tunnel and goes to the elevator, talking about all the things that happened to her on an engagement: 'I have to tell him how I feel'...'will you be here after', etc. really bother me. It's like betraying the trust of a child who depends on you for everything. Repulsive is the right word.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
You are right about the Dollhouse feeling a bit unethical. I guess we are to assume that the dolls willing signed up.

I was wondering if the show would be better if somehow Echo gets out and
the show was about her trying to bring the Dollhouse down?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I don't think we can assume that for all of them. Isn't the FBI investigating partly because of human trafficking?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

If you want to root for someone, I suppose you can root for the FBI agent to do his job and Echo to escape.

They of course have to bring SD-6.. er.. Dollhouse down, though

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

I can, Firefly, where the execs made him refilm the pilot, and Crusade where the execs made JMS retool the show and refilm the pilot...see a pattern forming here?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I enjoyed last night's episode, but didn't care for the Most Dangerous Game story. It's just been done too many times. The flashbacks also felt a bit clunky though, but I guess it was a decent way of setting things up.

I suppose the biggest challenge of this show is having a main character who's essentially a blank slate. She's been shown to be special, but for the moment, she's a character that learns little to nothing each episode and behaves in a completely different manner the next, without a singular motive or desire. That's the premise of the show, but it makes her hard to side with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks