New John Wayne ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Harry W, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Harry W

Harry W Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering if anyone knows if they(MPI)I think will be issuing the movies the Wayne estate will released(Mclintock and Hondo)to DVD?I have the tapes and also the 3-D Hondo they showed on tv(taped it a couple of times).I know Mclintock is out on Goodtimes DVD but that's not the version I want.They were to also release The High and The Mighty and Islands in the Sky but as far as I know they never did.Just thought someone could clue me in.Thanks!

2. JamesHromadka

JamesHromadka Stunt Coordinator

I just wish someone would release "North to Alaska" on widescreen DVD. That is one of my favorite movies.

3. Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano Second Unit

I think that any "official" release of MCLINTOCK hinges on the Wayne estate- HONDO and THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY are also in the hands of the Wayne estate. MPI only licensed their releases from the Wayne estate, I believe other releases of MCLINTOCK have come about because the film has fallen into public domain.

4. paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell Second Unit

JamesHromadka
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Finally someone else who likes this movie. Again [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Release it Fox dag-blast-it.

5. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I quote Dennis Leary, "The Duke's not dead, he's frozen. And when we find a cure for cancer, we're gonna thaw out the Duke, and he's gonna be pretty pissed off. Why? Have you ever taken a cold shower? Well multiply that by 1,000 and that's how pissed off the Duke's gonna be."

6. Henry V

Henry V Stunt Coordinator

Harry,what's wrong with the Goodtimes version of "McClintock"?

I enjoy the film and I was just wondering if there's a reason to avoid their copy of it on DVD?Is it edited or pan & scan?What's the issue?

7. Brian York

Brian York Stunt Coordinator

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Goodtimes needs to be taken to task for putting a Panvision movie, McLintock!, on DVD only in pan & scan.

If you're a John Wayne fan, you'll be looking forward to She Wore A Yellow Ribbon coming soon from WB. It was recently restored and it looks fantastic.

9. Harry W

Harry W Stunt Coordinator

Well Henry aside from the pan&scan,the vhs as I heard had some music that could not be used on the Goodtimes one and had to be different from the original.Never seen the Goodtimes DVD so I'll just wait on a Wayne Estate release.Glad to hear about She Wore a Yellow Ribbon coming out.

10. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

What about the companion film to "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon","Fort Apache"?

11. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>Finally someone else who likes this movie.

12. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

Certainly hope someone will release Fort Apache. It never made it to laserdisc, however. That would complete the Cavalry Trilogy. Would also like to see a dvd release of Shepherd of the Hills.

13. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Larry, Fort Apache did make it to laser disc. I have a copy. It came out in 1986 via a company called VidAmerica. The transfer was adequate - barely. The catalog number is #703. If memory serves, Image Entertainment reissued a remastered laser disc in the dying days of the laser disc format but it quickly went out of print.

14. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

Thomas, okay, I missed that one. It got by me somehow. But, if the quality was bad, guess I didn't miss much. I do have it on tape but would like to have a dvd release in the proper OAR.

Thanks.

15. Henry V

Henry V Stunt Coordinator

Thank you gentlemen for the warning about "McClintock",I also make it a policy to NOT buy pan&scan films like the rest of you.

All of the John Wayne titles that you've mentioned above are excellent films who's DVD release would certainly put a smile on my face.I'd like to add his 1930 70 mm widescreen epic "The Big Trail" to the wish list.It was filmed in an early process called "Grandeur",the widescreen version has played on TCM though I believe it was only released pre-recorded on videotape in the obligatory eviscerated pan&scan mode.

16. Rand

Rand Supporting Actor

I have the Image version of Fort Apache on laserdisc and it's a decent transfer. It could be improved on though. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon really needed remastering, the laserdisc wasn't that great. So I'm looking forward to it's release.

17. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    I haven't seen the Goodtimes McClintock, but from what I've heard it isn't pan and scan--it's just scan. The 4:3 image remains stationary in the center of the frame with no attempt to pan to the sides when the action warrants.

Video Tropic has a "Quiet Man: Special Edition" listed on its upcoming release pages, but I suspect it's just a re-pricing of the existing release. I picked up the current disc at Target last week for $9.44.