What's new

New Jersey members...need your help... (1 Viewer)

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
I was asking about North Carolina but now I need info on New Jersey.
If I were to work in Bridgewater where would be a good place to live and raise a family? I want a 4 bedroom house with a basement (theater hehehe). I am hoping to find something like that for under $250,000.
Thoughts and opinions?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Bridgewater is in a fairly ritz area, considering the towns in the general vincinity: Basking Ridge, Far Hills, Morristown, Mendham, etc. There are ALOT of CEO's who live in the area, including those of Lucent and the big pharmaceuticals around the area. Hence, the real estate in the general area is pretty high. But it depends on whether you're looking for a new place in a development or not. Finding a 4 bedroom house (basement shouldn't be a problem, there's no zoning laws down there prohibity basements) for under $250k might be a problem. But since I don't live in the area (I'm a bit north of there), I'm not an expert and you might be able to find something nice a bit west or south of bridgewater. But that whole general area is quite popular with McMansions and CEO's and people who commute into NYC yet want to live in a posh suburb.
There's a big mall over there (where in NJ there isn't?) called the Bridgewater Commons, I saw Toy Story 2 there long time ago. I forget which chain that is, it might be AMC but I have forgotten by now. Short Hills Mall is also not far away, and that is a RICH mall, like Nordstroms, etc.. etc.
The Equestrian center is nearby if you're into stables and horses and the Golf Museum is also close. You're close to I-287 which is a nice 3 laned autobahn...erh I mean interstate. and you're by my favorite town in the area: Pluckemin... I just like that name... Link Removed It's almost better than Ho-Ho-Kus but not quite. Link Removed
Let me know if you want any more info..
Jay

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Central Jersey (Monmouth County)is rated one of the best places to live in the Country....
Pretty much anywhere in Monmouth County is close to the Garden State Parkway, which is the route you would take to get to Bridgewater... It would be aroud a 30-40 minute drive.... How far are you willing to comute??
I suppose we'll pick up this conversation on the phone later....
Call Me....
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
Send Email:
[email protected]

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Try reading the local papers online:
http://www.dailyrecord.com/
For north of where you are looking including Morris County.
The Asbury Park Press for south and Monmouth County.
The Newark Star Ledger pretty much covers the state..but thier classifieds online are a pain.
Of course moving here obliges you to attend the ScootFests for next year!

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
I live in Middlesex county, fairly close actually to Bridgewater, and what Jay said above is true. Middlesex is very middle-class, overall; I live on the far south end of South Plainfield (my apartment complex butts up against 287), and I like it.
Morris and Sussex counties are the richer ones on average (Morris also has Livingston, Floram Park, and Short Hills...sweet!
smile.gif
), but Sussex may be too far out of the way. And unless you're along the west side of Morris (i.e., Rt. 287), there's not a fast way to get to Bridgewater.
Steve Simon's got a point -- northern Monmouth county puts you fairly close to the intersection of the GSP and 287, and from there it's only 15 or so miles west on 287 to Bridgewater...but traffic is horrendous in the mornings going that direction (North 287), as just about every single industrial park in the state is concentrated between exits 2 and 12, and almost every day I see traffic snarled for miles (thank goodness I go in the opposite direction to work!
smile.gif
).
I'm not as familiar with Somerset county (though my town borders on it). Essex county has nice areas but they're further north and west, and that's probably too far from Bridgewater.
Forget Union and Hudson
smile.gif

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Livingston is Essex County, pretty sure Short Hills is, too.
I lived most of my life in Hudson County.
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
D'oh! You're right! I knew that, too. Florham Park and East Hangover (er, Hanover
smile.gif
) are Morris -- the border is the Passaic River.

Chris --
Take a look at Warren County - NJ Its about 30 minute drive to Bridgewater. Housing is still at a reasonable price, and still close to everything -- NJ shore, Pocono's, Penna.,New York, Phia, etc.
Greenwich Twsp has some new housing projects to look at.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Be sure to check out Hunterdon County. I used to live in High Bridge, a very small town about 15-20 minutes from Bridgewater. It's a good commute to Bridgewater - all highway - from many points in Hunterdon. There are many areas where the houses are through the roof, but some of the smaller towns have bargains.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks