What's new

New Jane's Addiction album! (1 Viewer)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Some of the pretentiousness is gone, but that was one of their endearing qualities as well.
Good comment, Mike. That pretentiousness attracted all the art-snobs/indies/goths/hippies/ethereal faeries. My gfriend at the time had the 'pigs in zen' line on her answering machine forever: "i'm in the midst of a trauma... leave a message, i'll call you back..."

I wonder if the Jane's Addiction mantra on this new album (which I am anxious to hear) is to simply rock out, or if they have a message of some kind. My guess is, this is an opportunity for the members of the band to return to their roots, maybe re-catch some of the raucous fervor that they have been missing and which has been stalling their respective careers. A giant catalyst.

~j

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
One thing that doesn't sit right with me on this album is Perry's voice. He sings weird (to put it mildly), but like King Diamond or Jon Anderson, it fits the music and the music fits the voice. With straight-ahead rockers, the cute, strange vocals can become annoying.

If this was some new band instead of Jane's Addiction, I'd probably think, "Great band, but should change the singer."

Peter Mazur

Second Unit

That is what I thought back in 1988 when I first heard "Nothing's Shocking", great music terrible singer. But like the above mentioned Jon Anderson, and also Geoff Tate and Geddy Lee, given time their voices grew on me.

As for the new album, I like it a lot. It may not have any epic songs like Three Days, but overall it rocks. I will need a few more listens to fully let it sink in.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
I love this new album, it actually gave me goosebumps a couple of times the first time that I listened to it.

A little history that has nothing to do with this new album I just feel like telling the story :).

I remember the first time that I heard Jane's quiet vividly. It was the summer before my sophomore year of high school, my older brother worked at a record store and brought home a promo copy of Nothing Shocking and told me to check em out cause he thought I would dig them. He was right, I absolutely flipped and was instantly hooked. Flash forward a few months to 5/8/89 and Jane's comes to town. My brother allowed me to tag along with him and a couple of his friends to the show. They were playing at the legendary Fillmore west in San Francisco. My brother and I fight our way to the front row. The front row was literally the stage, no bouncers, no guard rail, just the stage, and the stage was only about 4 feet off the ground.

To this day I still consider this the best show I have ever been to, and I have been to my share. They ended up playing an incredibly long set, the show ended at around 2 in the morning. During Jane Says Perry stopped the bouncers from kicking people off the stage. So I hopped up on stage, there was cooler sitting on stage right next to Dave Navarro (they use the cooler as a drum for the song Chip Away) so I took a seat on the cooler next to Dave for the duration of the song as my brother, who is a drummer, played bongos with Stephen Perkins.

It was one of those magical nights in my youth that I will never forget.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone buy the deluxe package w/ the DVD included? Is it worth the extra $$$?

Thanks

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I liked Farrells voice from the beginning. Actually when I heard the first album and Nothing Shocking, I thought the vocals were done by a woman.

"Janes Addiction is nothing without Navarro's heroine guitar"

You know, I listened to the Deconstruction album yesterday and the guitarwork on that album is some of the best EVER done. A amazing amazing record.I bought this the day it was released and fell in love with the guitar and musicianship on it.(For those who dont know Deconstruction was a oneshot with Navaro and Janes bassist Eric Avery doing the vocals and writting the songs. Dont rememeber who played drums at the moment. Came out in 92 I think)

Navarro was my favorite guitarist from 88-around 93 (I stopped following him when he joined the Chili Peppers).

I miss his more complex layered guitar work - the stuff on the new album is more straightfoward rock.

So I miss the heroine guitar :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
No update on what's on the DVD? Fry's just put the CD on sale for $9.99 so I'm going to BB and pricematch after work (about six hours).

Can anyone say for sure if I should hold off and buy the CD/DVD version for $20? Or should I save $10 and just buy the CD?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks