New Iron Maiden...

Discussion in 'Music' started by JohnE, Aug 31, 2003.

1. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

So is anyone planning to pick up the new Iron Maiden on the 9th? This will be the first new Iron Maiden I've bought since Somewhere in Time. After rediscovering these guys earlier this year I've been listening to them like mad and can't wait for the new cd. Hope it's good. I don't suppose anyone heard it yet? =)

2. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Hell yeah!!

I have most of their cds and just saw them here in Sacramento last night. Great show!!

I advise you pick up a few more other than just the new one. You seem to be missing Brave new World. Its a couple years old but is a rocker.

Also No Prayer for the Dying and Fear of the Dark are early 90s and have a few good tracks but have mixed reviews.

And Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. I dont need to say anymore than buy!!

Up the Irons!!

3. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

I have all of them except Seventh Son. No Prayer for the Dying was awful IMO, and ended up turning me off to them for a looong time. I picked up Brave New World last year on a whim and was amazed at how good they still sounded. It ended up getting me back into the band again big time.

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

7 deadly sins
    7 ways to win
    7 are you holy paths to hell
    And your trip begins

7 downward slopes
    7 bloody popes
    7 are your burning fires
    7 your desires

If you don't have Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, you are missing out on some prime Maiden.

No Prayer is definitely the weakest album with Bruce, but it has a few decent tracks. I still have my copy. Fear of the Dark is much better. The song Afraid to Shoot Strangers alone is worth the album.

Um, so yeah, I will be buying the new album.

5. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Second Unit

Up the irons! Brave New World rocked and I hope the new one rocks as well.

6. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

John,
    Hate to tell you this but Sac was the last night of this tour.

Good news is they are taking a month off and they will be touring again till April for the new cd. So maybe you will see them afterall.

7. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

I'm excited about this one. Brave New World is my favorite metal/rock album of the decade so far (6 degrees by Dream Theater is close, too early to tell on St. Anger - yes I really do love that album!) IMO Brave New World is Maiden's best!

8. Christopher_S

Christopher_S Stunt Coordinator

I'm definitely stoked about Dance of Death. Apparently, there's a DVD-A version that will be available in Europe, which shocked me since IM are on a Sony affiliate, (in the US, anyway... EMI elsewhere, so I guess that explains it), so when I heard the record would be available in 5.1, I assumed it would be SACD, which I can't use.

At any rate, everything I've read says that DVD-A is not region-coded, but I'll wait to hear some reports from people who import it, and if it works in region 1 equipment, I've gotta have that. But I'll pick up the plain ol' CD on the 9th.

9. Dan Stone

Dan Stone Stunt Coordinator

Although I haven't been a big fan of the Iron Maiden releases since 7th Son, even disliking Brave New World unfortunately, I'm hoping that this might finally be a return to the form of old. I'll be very anxious to hear people's opinions of the DVD-A since this will be the first multichannel recording (by a band that I'm interested in listening to) which was intended to be multichannel at the time of recording rather than simply a repurposing from stereo to multichannel. What I'm fearful of, however, is that the recording quality will be superb but the songs won't hold my interest. [​IMG] I'm hoping that I'm wrong!

10. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    I gave Dance of Death a listen and it is effing awesome. It sounds a lot like classic Maiden with new twists here and there and in all the right places. All bow to the masters.

11. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona

12. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Can't wait for this album. I am THERE on Tuesday. I agree on what many say about their other albums, No Prayer sucks (second worst of all their albums behind Virtual XI), Fear of the Dark is better (although X Factor is my fav 90s Maiden, a flawed masterpiece with some brilliant spots nonetheless), and 7th Son is one of Maiden's absolute best. BNW also rocks pretty hard, I'd put it 3rd or 4th, behind Piece of Mind and 7th Son, maybe behind Number of the Beast as well. Very much looking forward to Dance of Death, although the track they released for download (Wildest Dreams) surprised me, sounding more like an Accident of Birth-era Bruce Dickinson song then Maiden, which doesn't hurt any, Bruce's solo stuff was incredible, esp Accident and Chemical Wedding. Factor in the acoustic close and I think we're in for a great album. And it's mine in about 24 hours. Hell yeah, and Up the Irons!

13. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

I've made it through most of the album a couple of times now. My initial reaction: OH YEAH! I am liking what I hear. There is a lot that reminds me of Powerslave and Seventh Son - and for me that's a good thing. The song Dance of Death itself is one of those Maiden songs that just rocks hard; destined to be a classic methinks. If you're a Maiden fan but haven't liked their more recent stuff, give this one a shot.

14. Dan Stone

Thanks for the info James. Your review has got me contemplating breaking down and giving the CD a listen, although I'd prefer to wait for the high resolution version if I can hold out.

15. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

I've managed to give it a couple of listens too, and am very pleased on the whole. Standout tracks for me would be Pachendale, Dance of Death, Face in the Sand adn Rainmaker. My least favorite song is the first single, Wildest Dreams. Overall I'd say it's great new Maiden, and I'm glad to have it.[​IMG]

16. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Second Unit

After two listens my favorite track is by far Paschendale. I also really like Face In The Sand. The rest is not as good as I hoped it would be. I don't think it is nearly as strong as Brave New World was. It just might take a few more listens to sink in.

17. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

After only two listens, I'd agree with that Peter. I thought Brave New World was an amazingly solid effort from start to finish. DoD seems to have some weak spots after a couple of listens. But I wouldn't say it's bad by any stretch of the imagination. I'm hoping some of the weak spots won't seem so weak after a few more listens.

18. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

After two listens, I'm ranking this one along side Fear of the Dark- pretty good, but not stellar, with some moments of awesomeness and some of stupidity.

19. Hank

Hank Guest

Dance Of Death rules!!!

This album is amazing, my favorite track is Dance Of Death, Paschendale is growing on me though. I seen them in July with Dio & Motorhead, can't wait to see them on this tour now!

I have the DVD-Audio on pre-order

[​IMG]

20. Dan Stone

Hank,

What's the release date for the DVD-A and where did you see it for preorder?

Thanks,

Dan