What's new

New iPad Air 10.5” and 5th gen Mini iPad In Apple Store (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Love my iPad. Eliminates the need for me to own a laptop. I still like having a desktop at home for things where a big screen, keyboard and mouse, and multitasking make life easier.

Thinking about upgrading to a Pro iPad with keyboard case this winter and seeing if that reduces desktop use and further improves travel use.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Love my iPad. Eliminates the need for me to own a laptop. I still like having a desktop at home for things where a big screen, keyboard and mouse, and multitasking make life easier.

Thinking about upgrading to a Pro iPad with keyboard case this winter and seeing if that reduces desktop use and further improves travel use.
With my previous iPad (before the Pro) I had the official Apple Keyboard and was sorely disappointed with it's functionality, responsiveness (lots of missed keystrokes, laggy response). To top it off, it stopped responding right as AppleCare ended.

When I got my iPad Pro I swore off of keyboards. But apparently the new one is a marked improvement (and a redesign) over the previous keyboard iteration. With iPad OS being split from iOS, and given more "laptop-like" features in version 13 in the fall...I'm tempted to buy the new keyboard then and see if I notice an improvement in terms of "light laptop use case" scenarios. I'd love to only bring the iPad Pro + kb around when I don't need the full power of my Macbook Pro. Would save 3lbs and be much easier to carry around.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
With my iPad Air 2 I had a Logitech keyboard cover. Great idea but it never used it. It just wasn’t the right kind of convenient for me. I eventually gave it to my mom.

With the iPad Pro, the larger screen, even with the 11”, promise making landscape mode usable. And the Apple keyboard cover seems to hold on really well and not cause problems when flipped behind — unlike the old Logitech keyboard.

And what I’ve read the current keyboard cover is the same as the current butterfly MacBook Pro keyboards. But they’re cloth encapsulated so there’s no failure mechanism.

The keyboard for the 11” iPad is a bit small, but the 13” iPad is too gigantic for me.

$1000 is spendy for me for a non-laptop laptop. But if my travel looks to continue next year, I think I’ll take a chance with the splurge.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
It's also interesting how personal perceptions convince us to think 'this must be how everyone sees it'. In the example above Clinton doesn't say "To me the iPad is just a big iPod Touch" but "As it turns out, the iPad was and is still just a really big iPod touch" pronouncing it a dud product. As I said, not so much.
I’ll be the first to admit the iPad was a runaway success for Apple, it just didn’t do anything for me. Going back and re-reading my post, you are correct... I should have phrased my statement differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks