What's new

New iPad Air 10.5” and 5th gen Mini iPad In Apple Store (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ok, because new iPhones come out in the Fall, and that’s a huge event. Apple doesn’t do silent spec bumps on iPhones. :emoji_smiley:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't even try to keep up on iPhones, and I'm sure I was wrong. I avoid the things like the plague.
Maybe a different topic for a different thread, but if you don't mind...why the aversion to owning a smartphone? I'm always surprised and curious when a technophile and technology professional eschews some basic type of tech.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Maybe a different topic for a different thread, but if you don't mind...why the aversion to owning a smartphone? I'm always surprised and curious when a technophile and technology professional eschews some basic type of tech.
I actually don't eschew the tech at all. Not any of it. I just use it the way I choose to. It's part philosophical and part practical. The way it's commonly used strikes me as a massive life and money suck. I have a cell phone. A prepaid one that I can use for what it's actually valuable for. It even automatically integrates with my car for hands free use. Safety, the ability to make and receive calls when they're really needed. As far as other tech, I have plenty of computers, an iPad, a Kindle, GPS in my car, and so on. That brings me to the money suck part. I renewed my prepaid cell phone recently. $200 for three years, and I think I paid about $20 for the phone 6 1/2 years ago. With the other devices, there are no monthly costs, so I buy them and use them. No constant money suck. So,like I said, I use every bit of the tech. More than most people, in fact, with my Apple TVs and media servers, both at home and work. I forgot to mention, I haven't had cable for 15 years. I use the antennas I bought 15 years ago.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So, I take it there appears to be no new basic iPad, probably until Fall?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For me, iPads are mainly just for browsing and running HT related apps, and I mentioned my 88 year old mother has been demanding an iPad. So, since Amazon has basic iPads for $250, I went ahead and got one. I’ll give my old one (original Air model) to my mother.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I bought an iPad mini a couple of years ago because I thought it would make a really good e-reader. As it turns out, the iPad was and is still just a really big iPod touch and I replaced it about a year later with a much lighter and more reading-friendly Kindle Paperwhite. I love Apple’s ecosystem but the iPad has always felt to me like a solution in search of a problem.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I bought an iPad mini a couple of years ago because I thought it would make a really good e-reader. As it turns out, the iPad was and is still just a really big iPod touch and I replaced it about a year later with a much lighter and more reading-friendly Kindle Paperwhite. I love Apple’s ecosystem but the iPad has always felt to me like a solution in search of a problem.
I love the iPad just for casual browsing and so on. Still, it doesn't replace my Kindle. I went premium on my second Kindle, going with a Voyage, and it's great for what it's intended for, and the iPad is what it is. I don't use the iPad as an e-reader largely because of the weight, but I do like the virtual paper aspect of the Kindle.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I see too many "everyday people" using one to great satisfaction. From kids to the elderly.

Now if you want to say the iPad makes for a poor e-reader, especially in comparison to devices using e-ink that are designed specifically for e-reading, I'll agree with that.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve used the 10.5” iPad Pro as an ebook reader on overseas flights and in the comfort of my home. I really like it. There’s some books I have I wished were available as ebooks. I can also use the kindle app on the ipad for books I can’t get through the Apple book store.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I love my Kindle paperwhite too. But to dismiss the iPad in 2019 as a big iPod Touch is just silly.
Just calling it like I see it, Sam. You might use yours all the time and I don’t have a problem with that. For me, the iPad is very limited in use and serves no purpose now, especially with the plus line of iPhones in the wild. I really really wanted to like the iPad and find a use for it. I was all in for a few months before I realized I no longer used it since I was reading without eye strain on my Kindle and everything else was being done on my iPhone or MacBook Pro.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
It's always interesting to see how different products fit into peoples lives differently.

My least used Apple product? The iPhone believe it or not.

I use my cellular Apple Watch as my on the go communication device and an iPad Pro for doing actual tasks. The iPhone sort of just sits in the middle for me. If I'm doing something like running to the grocery store I don't even bring it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's also interesting how personal perceptions convince us to think 'this must be how everyone sees it'. In the example above Clinton doesn't say "To me the iPad is just a big iPod Touch" but "As it turns out, the iPad was and is still just a really big iPod touch" pronouncing it a dud product. As I said, not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks