New Inwall System

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by SpencerB, Mar 10, 2006.

1. SpencerB

SpencerB Auditioning

Hey I'm new here and I wanted to get some feedback on a new system I'm installing in my newly built house. I was recommended to use Mtx HT line by a HT intaller in town, What do you guys think? Is this a good Brand? I'm Very familiar with Mtx car audio but not HT.
    Here are the model # if you want to check them out.
    2 HT8253W fronts
    HT2625W Center Channel
    2 HT825AC Rear
    HTS28W Inwall sub
    The whole package is about $1000. My other question is recievers, I also have 2 speakers in master and garage so I need two. The HT tech suggested Sherwood Newcastle for the Main reciever, I don't know model #s right now but it was $500 and $200 for the 2nd.
    The dimentions for the room is 18'x 15', It is not a "theater room" it is just the main room of the house. Any suggestions would help a lot Thanks

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Lots of inwall companies are much smaller than the companies who sell in the big box stores (though google shows me that Circuit City sells MTX in-walls). They often only work through contractors and installers. This makes it very difficult to gain independant verification on their products. When I had my house built I had some in ceiling speakers installed. They were from a company called "Proficient Audio" which I had never heard of. They are fantastic and sound much better than I expected.

Some of those speakers are sold by "Parts Express", they look really nice to my uninformed eyes. I love the look of those speakers.

The only thing I don't like the look of is the sub. That thing isn't going to give you much bass. You can really build a mean in-wall sub yourself very easily if you have some basic woodworking skills. Check out the "Cult of the Infinitely Baffled".

3. John Titan

John Titan Stunt Coordinator

Heres a site that carries Proficient Audio at decent prices.

Outdoor speaker depot

The speakers that start with OW are made by them.

Heres Proficients websiteProficient

Better than MTX for the money IMO

4. SpencerB

SpencerB Auditioning

I haven't found any speakers at Outdoor speaker depot by Proficient but they do have some great prices what do you think of their speaker on that website as far as quality and performance I've noticed a big difference in quality from even the cheaper lines of speakers in the past few years. Any recommendations for a reciever or inwall sub? I thought the same thing about the Mtx sub. I know I wouldn't get as much range out of 2 8" speakers. Any one else Have any advise?
    Thanks

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

It's best if you're having an installer do the work to go through them excusively. As for a sub, seriously, look at that Infinitely Baffled link I threw up before. It's possible that your contractor can put one toghether for you if you don't have the woodworking skills (or generous friends). They're very easy to build and install, and sound like a million bucks. Email me and I can give you more information including photos of mine in progress. There are also great photos on the cult web site.

Ask your installer if they can get Proficient for you. I don't know much about MTX except that they are not really thought of as high end. My Proficient speakers suprised the hell out of me when I first tried them out, they really do sound great, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

6. John Titan

John Titan Stunt Coordinator

The speakers on Outdoorspeakerdepot.com with the part #'s that start with OW are made by proficient. If your not sure call them up and ask them. They don't give the manufacturer on any of there speakers.
    Why I don't know.

But if you go to proficients website you can see there part #'s are the same.

7. joseph westcott

joseph westcott Second Unit

I would avoid in wall speakers unless it is absolutely necessary.

Please do not do it just for looks.

8. SpencerB

SpencerB Auditioning

does anyone have any advise on recievers, I'm at the point of purchasing the whole package here soon. I have a JVC widescreen if that makes a difference and plan to get JVC DVD Player. if anyone has any advise I'd appreciate it.
    SPIN

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm a big fan of refurbished and used receivers personally. Brand name doesn't really mean as much as it used to; the market is so competitive that the electronic companies have to make great stuff. Personally I avoid Sony when I can - their stuff is not very reliable in my experience. Check for older model or refurbished stuff (Onkyo, Denon, Harman/Kardon) receivers at www.ubid.com . I also personally love Pioneer receivers.

10. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The Sherwood receivers are very good sounding products and I've sold plenty of them to clients. As for the in-walls I don't use MTX and haven't heard them but they're likely fine for non critical listening. I don't recomend in-wall subwoofers though so I'd skip that and buy a stand alone unit.

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Never heard an infinite baffle configuration? No box or tube can compare with an IB.

12. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Phil I guess I should have been more specific to inwall subwoofers from MTX etc. Infinite baffle subs of the kind that are built here are a whole other story. I've built IB sub's and they are outstanding when done properly.

13. joseph westcott

joseph westcott Second Unit

IBs can be nice but it is kind of hard to test for best placement when you have a built in speaker. Kind of limits their usefulness since you can not move it.

Like I said before, every design has its limitations.

14. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

That was my experience as well. I really only have once spot for an IB and as it turned out it was the worst place for any subwoofer in that room so it really didn't give me the repsonse that I ought to have had with 4 tempest drivers. That's not a knock on the IB design just poor planning on my part.

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Sounds more like just plain bad luck not poor planning. [​IMG]

16. SpencerB

SpencerB Auditioning

Wow I just found the IB pics, that is an amazing idea!!! I looked at the site before but got distracted. Thanks Phil and everyone for the info, You guys helped out a ton!!! that wouldn't be hard to build at all.

17. SpencerB

SpencerB Auditioning

Any recommendations for which type of Subs for the size of my great room?

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm not a basshead and I'm not concerned with "reference level" bass. I made my IB with two of the Dayton 15" drivers from Parts Express and it turned out really good and is sufficicient for my needs.

19. TommyW

TommyW Auditioning

I basically ran with your selections here and purchased the MTX in-wall speakers. Has anyone else used them?

Specially looking for information on the HTS28W subwoofer speaker and how the heck to install it.

Spencer did you ever get these?

20. SpencerB

SpencerB Auditioning

Tommy I did not get the Mtx brand but the sub was heavy that's all I remember, and you install it between 2 2x4 studs in the wall. how do you like the system?