New Integra DTC 9.4 or used Lexicon MC-1?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RickRichardson, Nov 14, 2003.

1. RickRichardson

RickRichardson Auditioning

I have a budget of no more than $2,000 for a 7.1 processor that will be used only for home theater use, and only for audio since I do the video connections direct to the TV. I am looking for excellent sound quality. I had a Meridian 565 which sounded great but didn't have enough digital/optical inputs. I now have an Outlaw 950 and the sound quality is substantially under that of the Meridian. I am willing to go new or used.

Has anyone compared the Lexicon MC-1 ver. 4 with the Integra DTC 9.4? These two seem to be reasonable choices, possibly also the a B&K 50?

2. Ted Pugh

Ted Pugh Stunt Coordinator

Rick,

I think your best bet would be to consider the B&K Reference 50 for sound as well as upgradeability. I believe the 50 is a step up over the Integra and the MC1 will not be upgraded anymore. There are a few threads that mention the sound quality of the 50 compared to the Anthem, Krell, Parasound C2, etc. Take a look and listen and decide for yourself.

I believe if you search hard enough you might be able to get the Reference 50 for under $2200 or so.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I'd take the MC-1. Of course, I have an MC-8. [​IMG] (Go check out Lexicon's site for all the reviews. Ecoustics has a bunch of reviews too.)

The Lexicon has Logic 7 and multiple crossovers. Neither of the other two do.

IMO, until DPL IIx becomes widespread (and comparisons made), Logic 7 is the pinnacle for movie soundtrack processing.

V4 of the MC-1 does support THX Surround EX and DTS-ES (by allowing overlay of EX processing over DTS).

The Integra is not software upgradeable and doesn't have, and never will have DPL IIx. Look around for threads on the Ref 50. I have seen quite a few people post about the high frequency whine the unit has.