What's new

New install of XP pro, now can't get C$ share! (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I have used the admin share on my boxes in my home network (the ability for admin accounts to browse the entire contents of a drive by going to \machinenameC$)-- this has worked for years without issue.

I just upgraded my main audio machine to XP pro (I have another XP home email/web machine, and a win2k server in my main rig).

Previously I had no problem navigating to my audio machine from one of the other machines, it would give ma a CONNECT AS dialog, I would use an admin account, and boom- connected.

However- with XP pro, it won't let me. It gives me a connect as popup, but even when using an admin account and pword (i tried the main Administrator account, as well as a second dummy admin account i setup specifically to test)- and it fails. I tried from both the XP Home machine and the Win2k box.

The only way it will work is if i do it on the machine itself (so I'm trying to connect to "TK421" - if i try from any machine it doesn't work- unless I'm on TK421 when i try, then it works fine). SInce remotely browsing the computers own harddrive is kind of, uh, stupid- it doesn't help.

Is there some XP pro setting i'm missig? Firewall is off, file sharing is on, the admin shares exist (I can connect to C$ from TK421's run command).

-V

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Simple file sharing will get you everytime. At work I use a network scanner for vulnerability assessments which requires full admin rights to the target systems. For XP machines one of the settings is to uncheck "use simple file sharing". Don't know how many sys admins I've had to tell that too. Glad you were able to find it.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I didn't think of it because normally my work machines are joined to a domain (which turns off simple file sharing automatically)-- at home I'm not runnin an active directory network (although I might start, lol)...

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
It makes perfect sense for TK421 to not respond. He's got a bad commlink. I'll take another one to him. AH! WOOKIE!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks