What's new

New Infocus 5000 LCD projector announced! (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Interesting read at Audioholics on the new Infocus 5000 LCD projector. At less than $2,000 MRSP, DVI and HDCP it should give the rest of the LCD projector market a run for their money. Read about it here.

Parker

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
What do you mean 720p? How about 1080p? or 2k and 4K models?

And with SED, OLED and the new thin CRT models that will be coming out it is going to be even harder to keep up with the advances and not feel like you just lost out big time with the item you just bought.

Parker

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Yea there are already 720 dlps, but they come with an insane price for such a relatively low resolution. :frowning:

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
LCD???

Infocus is releasing a LCD projector?

That *is* news!!

Seriously, I'd still rather have the 480p DLP 4805 than this pj; at least if DVD is still my primary main video source.

While the 1200:1 listed CR for the 5000 is impressive for a 720p LCD pj in this price range, it still doesn't touch the 2000:1 available CR of the 4805. Also, the SDE for the two will be about equal due to the greater inherent pixel fill provided by DLP. And the 5000 will have to scale the 480p DVD source.

The only thing that I can figure is that Infocus is putting this pj out there for those individuals that are hypersensitive to RBE ...

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I have been really eyeing up the 4805. But I don't like how it lacks "true" hi-def. Granted, it has an awesome processor, but the rez bothers me a bit.

On the other hand, the panny 500 includes the hi-def but has the lower contrast-ratio which is an area lcd has always trailed behind dlp. Also, I don't like the "potential" possibility of image quality degrading over a period of time. But I have heard great things about the projector.

And then you have the all important price factor. When you look at the package that the TV Authority has put together for the membership here, its hard to resist.

But I am still window shopping, so I have plenty of time to learn more and watch for new developments.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

The lower resolution is one of those things that bothers folks "on paper" (much like a high resolution spec tends to impress despite other image compromises). Once the 4805 is seen in action from the proper viewing distance, it's tough to fixate on the pixel count. Much like the somewhat quirky measurements of Magnepan speakers...who cares when they sound so good?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Jack:

I agree. I have heard that side by side people still prefer the colors, etc. from the 4805 compared to the 5000. I believe that Infocus is just putting the 5000 out to have something in the LCD arena. Their DLP projectors are still the way to go.

Parker

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I'm not a huge DLP fan (rainbow kills me, not bad, for not cool for the money), but I want to see the 3 chip guys in action.

This inFocus for $2k looks great. I hope I can see one in action.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yep, that and the Panasonic AE700 and Sanyo Z3. Between those, the Infocus and the recently released Hitachi PJ TX100 there is some stiff competition in the mid market of LCD projectors.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph

Hopefully this thing will look great out of the box and require very minimal calibration (screen dependant of course). If so, then it should compare favourably with the 4805. Just an educated guess.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully it will have good native checker-board contrast and not require that you use the AI modes to see an improvement over the 500.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks