New Inexpensive HT Suggestions

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by MattSchwab, Aug 13, 2003.

1. MattSchwab

MattSchwab Auditioning

Aug 12, 2003
    Hey everybody. I've been trolling the forums for the past couple days and thought I'd post to get some of your opinions.

First off, here's what i'm looking at
    Onkyo TX-SR500 (aka HTR500) - $150
    - or -
    Onkyo TX-SR501 - $230

Onkyo SK-SHT500 Speakers - $180

I'm still in college for another couple years, so the system will be confined to my bedroom. Also, i don't want to spend more money than is necesary (looking for a 'most bang for my buck' kinda system)

I'm trying to decide between the two receivers. Since i'm probably only getting the 5.1 setup, the 501 (with 6.1 channels) is for future expandability, as are the component video ins & outs as my tv only has s-video. I'm sure I'll be upgrading to a better receiver when i can afford better 6.1 speakers and a better tv that has the component video inputs.

So do you think there are any extra features with the 501 that would warrant the $80 besides the two i've mentioned that i won't use for a while? Is $80 too little to worry about for the benefit future upgradability?

I'm by no means an audiophile (yet =), so i'm just looking for something decent to watch my movies, listen to music, and play xbox with.

Also, what's a good place to buy inexpensive yet quality cables (toslink, speaker, etc) online?

Thanks so much for your help!
  2. Steve Lucas

Steve Lucas Stunt Coordinator

Aug 12, 2002
    I'm sure that when it comes time for you to upgrade, you'll probably want more wattage than either of those recievers has. If it were me, I'd save the bucks and go for the cheaper of the two given your intended usage for now. Besides, the speakers you have chosen will probably be the weak point in the system anyway. I'd think about putting a bit more into the least the $80 you'll save on the reciever, more if you could scrape it up somewhere.

3. gene c

gene c Producer

Aug 5, 2003
    hi matt. to me, since you seem pretty sure you will upgrade later, i would buy the 500. many people think the 6th channel is overkill anyway. especially in a small room. also, i just bought the ht-500 speakers at fry's in fremont, ca for $129.95, and i think they sound just fine. most people think you can't get a good 5.1 speaker set for under $600-700. i don't know? maybe i need to get my ears checked (or the lump between them!). as for cables on the net, i don't have a clue. just don't use the ones that come with the equipment. even i know they are lousey. gene
  4. NicholasTS

NicholasTS Stunt Coordinator

Jul 31, 2003
    Take a look at this system at Best Buy. For the money I'd say it's pretty decent for your dorm room needs. You'll have to give it a listen to know what I mean.
    Sony HTDDW750
  5. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

May 27, 2002
    JBL makes good inexpensive entry level speakers, my personal recomendation will be to check the JBL NSP1 which retails around $209 and you could add a Sony Sub SA-WM500 for $135, and they will sound very good with your onkyo selection. I also will recommend to check either Pioneer VSX 812 or 811, which are retailing around $210-220, they are also great for entry level HT, but I read a lot of post last year of matching JBL NSP1 package with Onkyo SR600 with great results.

Good luck with your setup,