What's new

New Imax in Little Rock (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
LR finally has a theatrical Imax theater. We've had an "educational" Imax and that theater would not show theatrical movies. The Chenal 9 opened this past Friday. The debut Imax film is Kung Fu Panda.

The icing on the cake is that I checked their website and the Imax is also a 3D Imax. Isn't the new Journey to the Center of the Earth going to be a 3D Imax?

I'm jazzed.

Rocky F

Second Unit
I didn't make it over there for opening weekend, but I will check it out for "Incredible Hulk" and hopefully they'll have "The Dark Knight" in IMAX.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yesterday, I went to see Kung Fu Panda on the Imax. The movie was great and I highly recommend it and it is amazing on the big screen. I hope Jack doesn't take this the wrong way, but I found him very believable as an overweight, flabby panda.

There was something else that amazed me. When I entered the auditorium, there were no commercials playing, no slide shows of local merchants. Shortly after starting time 1 preview (the new Madagascar) played, and then...the feature film.:)

I don't remember the last time that happened.

Rocky F

Second Unit
Saw "Incredible Hulk" there yesterday, it's a nice theater. Got a tour of the projection rooms from the manager (old friend of ours from Tinseltown & the Rave.) The IMAX projection room was massive. The guys up there said it took 8 people to get the Kung Fu Panda film reel up there. With gas prices like they are, I don't know if I can justify the extra milage out there everytime I want to see a movie, but I'll be there for "The Dark Knight" in IMAX for sure.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Dallas is the closest IMAX theater to me since the one in Shreveport isn't that great but it's cool that Little Rock has this. Big fan of IMAX.

Superman Returns in IMAX remains one of my most enjoyable cinematic memories. There were other intangibles going on then as well but it was 100% pleasure seeing that in IMAX.

The only IMAX experience I didn't enjoy as much was The Two Towers and I think it was due to the length of the film in a way. 3 hours is a long time to be that close to the screen...(gave me a bit of a headache). :)

Rock on Little Rock! :D

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
As for finding out what goes on in an IMAX hall, most of the educational facilities - museums, science centers, and the like - are very often willing to turn a polite person over to the projectionist on duty.

The first time was years ago; I called ahead and talked to various people and made an appointment to tour the Samuel P. Langley Imax hall at the Smithsonian's Air & Space Museum. Then shortly after it opened, I just stopped by the ticket booth at the Johnson Imax theater at the National Museum of Natural History and asked.

In talking to Imax projectionists, it almost seems as though they (at least, in the past) worked for Imax first, and then where-ever they actually were second.

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation496
Recent bookmarks