What's new

NEW HT start up? (1 Viewer)

expoman55

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael O
Hey all, I am about ready to FINALLY after 6 years to begin my ALL NEW HT and have a few questions.. I have a room 17' deep (18'w) first row of viewing would be about 11-12' and then another at about 15 or 16' from the screen.

I have a brand new infocus IN72 projector in the box and ready to go but wondered if I would be better off purchasing a 65" Sharp Aquios LCD for the wall instead. The reason for my thought change is ease of installation, ease if use overall and finally the flexiblity to move it to another house if I ever move etc. Which is a possiblity within 3-5 years ( gear would be quite old by then of course) Have any of you made the same decision? I think my first question is does the LCD still give you the 'theater' feel? ORRRRRR can you get that same feeling using the LCD? FYI.. in addition to watching movies sports etc.. my wife and daughter and their friends would do DDR so they would be closer to screen sometimes etc.

Can anyone offer any help? Oh also.. have any of you draped walls etc around LCD TVs?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The main difference is that projectors need more light control in the room. They aren't good for multi-use rooms. So, if the room is more than just a dedicated theater and doesn't have almost complete light control (ability to eliminate daylight and other outside light, and you want to watch movies and do other things, you are probably better off without a projector.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree with John. But a projector is soooooo nice. My seat is 12' feet from my 103" screen. There is nothing like feeling that you are in the movie. With the big screen and full surround sound you are there.

As for multi-purpose, my wife does use it for an exercise room sometimes. She does her yoga / pilates in the space between the first row and the screen sort of off to one side while following the on-screen instructions. For light, we do have a set of cans in the ceiling that illuminate the equipment rack in the back. The picture is a little washed out with the extra light but it is OK for non-critical watching.

-Robert

expoman55

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael O
Hey guys. Thanks for the replies.. Let me give you more specifics .. the room is 17deep by 18 wide. We have total control over light as there are NO windows.. I have 6 can lights in ceiling and plan to put some sconce lights on the side. I plan to build a platform for 2cnd row seating. What did you guys do for wall coverings.. ? (The room is presently insulated double isolated walls, primed with paint.. ) Also did you put curtains around the screen?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have no done any wall treatments. That project is way down my list. But I will be building some sound absorption panels covered in GOM (Gillford of Maine) or similar fabric.

Yes, my screen is flanked by curtains. They are thin and do very little to the sound. There will be a couple of panels behind the side curtains. Here's an older pic.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertigofilmfanman
Recent bookmarks