New HT speaker placement

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mike Mitrook, May 5, 2003.

1. Mike Mitrook

Mike Mitrook Agent

The new house is under construction and the HT is moving from the family room to a (almost) dedicated room. It's time to wire the place and I'm not sure if I should set things up for 6.1 or 7.1. The challenge is room size and window locations (I know, but I have to deal with them). The room is approx. 13x12.5 with windows on 2 walls (side and back) with a door on the other side wall. The TV will go on the front wall (13ft. with no windows!). The windows on the back wall leave me with 5 ft. in between for a center rear or perhaps a left rear and right rear and I have just enough room on the side walls for my side surrounds.

Any suggestions? Many thanks in advance.

2. Scott Sabin

Scott Sabin Stunt Coordinator

Being not a large room, I would think 6.1 would be sufficient for you. However, depending on your receiver's processing capabilities, I've heard that the difference between 6.1 and 7.1 is not subtle. You can't go wrong planning on 7.1 - it's relatively cheap to do at this point in time.

3. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

I agree with Scott in that 6.1 should be fine for your room.
    However, if you are going to have any seating outside of the surround sweet spot, 7.1 may have an advantage there.