What's new

New HT setup (problem with shielding) (1 Viewer)

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
I recently setup my HT (2 weeks ago) and ordered the Sound & Vision: Home Theater Tune-Up and noticed some blue in the bottom right hand corner of the TV. I only noticed it because the studio is white where they do the intro.
It looks like the shielding in the Right front speaker isn't working. Will this be permanent?
The speakers are two weeks old so I should be able to get the one replaced (that fixes the shielding problem).
The speakers that I have:
PSB Alpha T (the right one's shielding is failing)
PSB Alpha B
PSB Alpha C
PSB Alpha SubSonic 5.
with Sony 36" XBR450.
I'm very worried if the TV damage is permanent. I moved the speaker away from the TV. Am I the one responsible? PSB's warrenty says:
EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN DAMAGES — PSB's liability is limited to the cost of repair or replacement, at our option, of any defective part or product and shall in no event include incidental or consequential damages of any kind.
I haven't called the dealer yet.

Scott_G

Second Unit
Did the problem go away when you moved the speaker ?

How close was the speaker to the TV?

Did you try and switch out the left and right mains?

If it's only been a few weeks, I think you'll be OK.

Should be easy to prove if the speaker is not shielded right.

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
Did you try and switch out the left and right mains?
No, I haven't tried that yet. But I will.

I called the dealer that I bought from and he told me to turn the TV on then off so that it will degausse. That seems to have fixed it.

The question still comes up though. The speaker has a shielding problem right? It needs to be returned?

Greg,

If your speakers are 2 feet from the Tv, I don't think it's shielding problem. My old theater Setup (Which you can see one my site) had the mains way to close to the Tv and I didn't have a problem. Do the Psb mains even have shielding ? Mostly Center speakers only have shield, for obvious reasons...

I wouldn't have an other solution for the problem, but is sure seam to be "shielding" related, because degaussing will "reset" the magnetic field of the Tv...

Roland

Edit : Just check the site and they do have shielding, so I'm lost here...

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
The right speaker caused the problem on the bottom right side of the screen. The left speaker didn't cause a problem and neither did the center speaker.

The left and the right were equi-distant from the TV (about 6 inches on either side).

So does that mean that the speaker is defective? I should just return it to the dealer and get an exchange right?

There's not a rule where the speaker is just shielded on one side is there? Is there supposed to be a LEFT speaker and a RIGHT speaker? I just want to make sure that I didn't do something wrong.

I can't really tell if the blue has faded completely from the bottom right side of the screen. I'm not sure if I'm biased now and think I see it or if it is really there. I need a blank white screen to test it against.

UPDATE: I just did a test with the Sound & Vision DVD that has white (the brightness test) and the blue is still there. I've moved the speaker about 4 feet away to make sure that it isn't affecting it any longer.

When I move the speaker closer though I don't see the blue intesifying or anything. If it is a shielding problem wouldn't it do that. When it was really dark blue yesterday moving the speaker closer and further away caused it to intensify. Or could it be that the speaker is partially shielded and causes more damage the longer it is there?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
From your description, it doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the speaker. It sounds like the convergence on your set needs to be adjusted. Blue lines or patches at an edge or a corner are a common sign of drifting convergence.

M.

Scott_G

Second Unit
Two feet is too far to cause any problem unless it's one moster magenet.
Convergence can be set via the service menu.
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/
look for Sony on the right side near the bottom.
If you don't feel comfortable with the suggestions, don't try them.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
How do you fix that?
A lot of people here are do-it-yourself types when it comes to convergence. But it's not something you should attempt lightly. If you don't know exactly what you're doing, you can easily do more harm than good. I'd suggest a qualified technician.

M.

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
The TV is not even 2 months old. It is a Sony Wega 450XBR, should this already be happening?

Yesterday, when I moved the speaker near the TV I noticed it causing more of a blue pattern and when I moved it away less blue. Shouldn't the speaker be the culprit based on this information?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
When I move the speaker closer though I don't see the blue intesifying or anything.
I doubt there's any permanent damage. The speaker may just have made you aware of a convergence problem that already existed; such problems are common at corners and edges, and they aren't immediately visible on every image.

I'd suggest you try the other speaker and see whether the TV reacts the same way. If it does, then maybe that's just the limit of the shielding. If it doesn't, then perhaps you should consider exchanging the speaker, as per your original idea.

M.

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
The dealer wasn't very attentive when I brought the issue up with him. Can I prove that the shielding isn't working? I want to make sure that is the real problem and it isn't a convergence problem as Michael has suggested.

I was thinking that a compass would do the trick right? Just take a compass to the outside of the speaker (just like you would do with a magnet) to see if the needle moves?

The blue patch is still there (the speaker is now 5 ft away). Do most dealers do service calls? It's a 36" XBR so taking it to the store is a big chore.

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
Another update....

This morning I was curious to see how the "blue patch" was doing since I've moved the speaker further away. Here's what I noticed. The blue patch was gone on the bottom right side of the screen but now there is a yellow patch on the bottom left side of the screen.

Sounds to me like Michael and Roland are correct in that it is a TV problem. Since now there is something on the other side. If it had been caused by the speakers I think the problem would have been immediately apparent. When you move a magnet next to a tube it should be pretty apparent when it is there, not something that happens gradually.

I'll be giving the dealer that I bought the TV a call here soon (I bought the TV and the speakers from 2 separate dealers).

Thanks for the input.

Also, the compass idea should work in telling if there is a magnetic field around the speaker, right?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Do most dealers do service calls? It's a 36" XBR so taking it to the store is a big chore.
Convergence adjustments should be done on-site. Moving the TV usually knocks the convergence out of whack. I don't know if your dealer will do it, though. You'll have to ask.

Can't comment on the compass idea. I've never tried to determine the effectiveness of a speaker's shielding.

M.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Ummm... correct me if I'm wrong but direct view sets don't have convergence adjustments (nothing to converge). Have you moved anything with a magnet (VCR, speakers, subwoofer, etc.) at least 6ft away and rechecked the picture?

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
I've been to the http://www.agoraquest.com website that has a lot of information on Sony TV's and found that my problem has been reported over there.
I'm wondering if my set isn't degaussing properly. The only reason I say this is that my parents have the same TV and I remember my mom calling to ask about the loud noise when you turn the TV on. The dealer said that was the degaussing of the monitor and nothing to worry about.
My TV doesn't make nearly that amount of sound and I wonder if that is not causing the problem.
Anyway, I hate to keep ranting about this problem. So I'll call the dealer when I get home and let you know what happens.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Ummm... correct me if I'm wrong but direct view sets don't have convergence adjustments (nothing to converge).
Ya know, it's been so long since I owned one that I don't trust my memory. But I've seen enough tube displays with what looks like convergence errors to know that the guns can get out of alignment.

Maybe I should step aside and let someone who knows direct views better than I do step in. :b

M.

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
The dealer's serviceman came out today and said everything looked fine. He said that with big tubes (36") that discoloration can occur due to magnetic fields from the earth and surrounding electronics/areas.

He said most often they can calibrate the TV with magnets to fix the problem, but since we are moving soon, they may just have to do adjustments again when the TV is placed in it's new spot.

He also verified that the speakers weren't the problem. He said they were properly shielded.

So it was much to do about nothing. I'll have to keep all this in mind when we move into our new home and place the TV though.

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
We've sinced moved and I've now noticed the discoloration in the top two corners.

BUT...

I think I found the answer. I always thought that when turning on the TV that the degaussing wasn't that strong (meaning it really didn't make that BRANNGGG!! sound when degaussing). I did find that I could correct the problem by turning off the TV, waiting a few seconds, and then turning it back on and it would degausse.

Yesterday, I started thinking that when I press "power" on my remote that the TV turns on, then the cable box, then the receiver... What if the TV isn't getting enough power to properly degausse? I think I remember reading either in this forum or somewhere else that the TV draws more power when turning on.

So I changed my Sony learning remote (VL900) to delay when turning on the components and voila! It works!! No longer do I get the blue patches and you can actually hear the TV degaussing everytime I turn it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks