New HT room question's

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jim H., Feb 23, 2005.

1. Jim H.

Jim H. Auditioning

Feb 23, 2005
    I am in the beginning stages of designing my home theater room in the basement of my new house. This room will be used as a recreation room as well as a HT room.
    Although the room won’t be the main TV watching room there will be times when it is used to watch broadcast TV, well really satilite, as well as DVD's and some gaming.

My intent is to design the room around a FP-DLP. The question I have to everyone is whether or not I should continue with FP design or go with a RP-DLP?

I’ve read post that people say they would not recommend a FP for normal TV watching. I’m just wondering way? Is it because the quality is not as good, or because of the ambient light situation, or because of the life and cost of replacement bulbs?

As far as the ambient light goes I can control that pretty easy in my design, I only have two windows that can be darkened with shades. But at the same time I still want the kids to be able to play games and stuff while we watch TV or DVD’s. Since this will not b the primary TV watching room the bulb life and cost is really not that big of deal. I’m trying to budget about $2000 - $2500 for the Projector.
    The room is approx. 15 x 23 with the windows at one end.
    One more question. What is everyone’s opinion of Screen–Goo screen paint? Sorry for the long post just wanted to be thorough.

Thanks for your input!

Jim H.
  2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Aug 19, 2002
    Projectors always look best with a completely dark room. Some are better than others with more light, but all are at their best in a dark room.