New HT receiver questions...which to buy?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GabeR, Oct 2, 2002.

1. GabeR

GabeR Agent

I am new to HT and wondered how to choose what to get?>!!
    Not many stores around me let you listen and when they do, i have no clue what to look for
    Ive narrowed it down to either a yamaha htr-5550 or maybe a onkyo...Its just a headache picking from all the companies and whether to buy online or not

I dont like these rip off retail prices either
    I usually watch movies and wanted a good entry level reciever.
    thanks

2. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator

If you check out the archives, you'll find tons of posts answering this exact question

3. GabeR

GabeR Agent

Ok ive read all the posts on what I wanted to know
    but still am kinda confused cuz other sites say yamaha isnt that good and so on
    they say they have a certain bright sound

4. JohnBrianW.

JohnBrianW. Stunt Coordinator

What I've found is that each discussion group favours certain receivers. This site is definitely a Denon Marantz crowd. And anti HK and Yamaha (for the most part). Hey, they are all huge multi national corps...so they all must be doing something right.

5. GabeR

GabeR Agent

well can anyone actually post why I should not buy a yamaha
    denon and marantz are too expensive for a entry level receiver
    some people just go overboard with this stuff

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

In my opinion the receiver is one of the least critical components in an entry-level system. You need to pick the features that are important to you, so any advice can be misleading; but make sure that you know how long you plan to stay at an ‘entry’ level. Much of the advice given in this forum comes from members who bought something sufficient unto the day—and then began replacing a few months later.

With that in mind, you need to make sure that your receiver has adequate power to cleanly power your speakers at the listening levels that are normal for you. Take along some DVDs or CDs with which you are familiar and test. Listen for ‘clipping’ or distortion during peaks. Listen with and without the subwoofer. Don’t just go by the published specifications for entry-level equipment, as manufacturers’ vary somewhat on their specs.

Look for enough of the correct kind of outputs that you believe that you will need.

That goes for other features. Don’t give any points to receivers with features that are not important to you.

All of the name brands (IMO) make adequate, entry-level receivers.

But go with what you like. After listening to them power the speakers you will use. Don’t be hesitant to ask a salesman for a demo. The best time to do this, is during the week in the daytime. It’s hard to get individual attention on Sunday afternoon.

Good luck.

7. GabeR

GabeR Agent

OK ive gone to good guys and he said they dont give demos and it has a 30 day money back
    I only have bookshelf speakers and plan to get towers and a sub later
    Ive been looking at the Onkyo SR500 and Yamaha RX-v530 which seem to be right up my ally
    they dont seem that cheaply made either and have all the features I could want...i dont need 6 speakers and so on

I planned on getting one of these recievers and getting very good speakers later....this way I would be able to watch my dvds with some good sound

I just hear all these bad things and good things about the different recievers and seems like a headache to choose one