What's new

New HT - projection, automation (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Hi,

Am planning to build a 200" projection system, with a Yamaha receiver.

I need to find out how I could integrate a motorised screen (if it exists in that size), lights switches, blinds etc.

How does one control that remotely - amp or separate?

Any help would be appreciated! Am I in the correct forum? Total newbie.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Correct forum, yes.

What are you planning to use as the projector, any ideas yet?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I would take it a step or item at a time. You may want to control the lights via remote even when you aren't watching a movie, that same can be said for the blinds.
Screen:
The screen should be integrated into the projector. Most projectors have 12v trigger outputs on them, and most motorized screens accept them. That way when the projector powers on the screen will lower. In the event you can't find a motorized screen that big, you could get a fixed wall mounted one and hide it with curtains that are tied to the 12v trigger so they open when the projector is powered on.
Lights:
You could use IR for the lights or try using x10. I haven't used x10, but I'm sure a lot of people here have. I have used IR. I have a Lutron Spacer light switch that I can turn on, off and dim via remote. It works great. It only replaces a single switch. If you want to replace multiple switches that are located together and create scenes the Lutron Graphic Eye is a good solution. It is also IR controllable.
Blinds:
There are a lot of options here. Some are HT specific and others are specific to manufactures (Hunter Douglas, etc.)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
thanks guys,

#1, any equipment needs to be 240v capable.

...need any projector that can project 200" 16x9 from a throw of 7m. have been reading about the Yamaha models - new ones out.

otherwise, been checking out the Panasonic PT-AE500.

what is a 'x10'?

Would I need something like a Philips Pronto to control everything?

Also need to find some decent (THX) speakers that can handle 170w per channel. Currently have a set of AT350s. Looking at the System 20 in-wall, with extra 370 surrounds for sides, and use the surrounds for in-ceiling rears. Where to buy!!!?

ps. Hope to have everything up by July 1st.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I'm not sure if x10 is 240volt capable. In simple terms it's a control signal sent over your power lines. A pronto or other universal remote is a must.

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
A 200" screen is going to require a serious projector... especially if there will be any ambient light. Christie has a line of high-output projectors that would work well.

The LX45 model has 4500 lumens and 1100:1 contrast ratio. I think retail price is about $10K, but 20% - 30% discounts are common...

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.