New HT owner w/ a few questions.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jared_Thomas, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Jared_Thomas

Jared_Thomas Auditioning

Hi all, I was just given a Yamaha YHT-150 system for Christmas. I only have the front and center channels hooked up at the moment (no time to get into the attic yet [​IMG] ). On the back of the receiver there are 3 digital inputs, 2 optical and 1 coaxial. Next to the coaxial input it has CD stamped, and since I don't really see being able to justify to the wife spending $50+ on a fiber optic cable, can I use the coaxial input for a DVD player? And what brand of interconnects are good without breaking the bank?

Next question is in regards to a new DVD player. I have had 2 players die on me in the last 2.5 years, one a Phillips and the other a Cyberhome (lesson learned [​IMG] ). What would you guys recommend as a good quality player for around $70?

Thanks in advance.

Jared

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

If the coax is labled specifically for CD, it probably will only accept PCM input. This is bad because for DVD you would want it to accept DD and DTS. The good news is that you do not have to spend $50 on an optical cable. Radio Shack has them for around $14 and I've even bought one at Wallmart for $10. Digital cables are more tolerant than analog in that they either work or they do not. Aside from build quality and whether you prefer glass vs. plastic, they are pretty much all the same. Try it with a cheap optical, you may be surprised at how little you have to spend.

3. Jared_Thomas

Jared_Thomas Auditioning

Awesome thanks...that will make my wife/wallet and myself happy. [​IMG]

Anyone with suggestions on a DVD player? My brother and friend both like their Toshibas and I have heard decent things about Hitachi's. I guess I would need it narrowed down to DVD players with digital optical out.

4. Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn Second Unit

Dave Hahn
    First of all, welcome to the forum Jared!

Here's a link to a search I did at epinions.com for dvd players with an optical output that sell for under $100: http://www.epinions.com/elec-Video-D...price_bucket_1 I would suggest going with either a Sony, a Panasonic or a Toshiba.

Jeff gave you some good advice, you can get very decent cables and interconnects at Radio Shack and Walmart. You want to try to get cables with "shielded" on the description. The diameter of "shielded cables" will be larger then the cheap ones.

Good luck and enjoy your new home theater. [​IMG]

5. Jared_Thomas

Jared_Thomas Auditioning

Thanks for all of your input. Now time to do some shopping on a DVD player. I'm sure I will post with some more questions when I really get into setting the rest up. Thanks again.

Jared

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jared, since you're asking for specific model-purchase advice for a DVD player, your thread has been relocated to A/V Sources, which is where such questions are asked. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level. Thank you. JB

7. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Lotsa newb threads all of a sudden. Must be a New Year's resolution thing. [​IMG]

Try the Phillips 642.

8. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Jared, the Toshiba 3960 was rated the best budget DVD player at Hometheaterhifi.com, check it out.

9. Jared_Thomas

Jared_Thomas Auditioning

Oh, sorry Jack. I had started out on basics and just morphed into something else. Thanks again everyone.