NEW HT OTW in the mail. Questions about positioning, stands, calibration.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eddie Wimberly, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Eddie Wimberly

Eddie Wimberly Stunt Coordinator

Ive been reading a lot about certian DVD's and CD's you can order to help calibrate your picture and home theater sound. Where can I get one of these? Where can I learn about how to do it?
    I have no idea where to position my speakers within the room. The HT is in a ~ 12 x 12 area, with an open end on one side leading to the rest of the house. TV is 27" in a ~ 4'6" wide, 2' deep entertainment center which site in the middle of 1 wall. The couch sits across from it. It is ~ 7' long and 3'6" deep. I am planning on getting some speaker stands to put next to the entertainment center for the left and the right, with the subwoofer on the floor next to one of them. I was also planning on getting 2 more stands that could fit to the sides of the couch on either side, but it would be difficult to line them up with the front speakers. Here is a very crude drawing.
    [​IMG]
    Where can I read up on how to get this set up correctly?

2. Eddie Wimberly

BTW, my TV is a 27" Wega KV27FS13, Reciever: Kenwood VR-509, Speakers: JBL NSP1 Home Cinema Kit, Subwoofer: Sony SA-WM40, DVD: Panasonic DVD-RV31K.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You don't need or want to line up the rear speakers with the mains. The rears are more for ambiance. I have my rears on the same stands as my mains, keeping them at the same height, but my rears are well behind the listener. In your case, it doesn't look like you can do this, so you may want to mount them on the wall above the couch and point them towards the center of the room or towards eachother. If you place them on either side of the couch, turn them in slightly, but not directly at the listening position, otherwise you will likely be distracted by the rear effects, even with a properly calibrated system. Your mains should be fine, but you will have to experiment with the positioning and aiming of the rears to get the best sound.

4. Eddie Wimberly

Thanks for the reply, anyone else? I'm also still looking for someplace to read up on this sort of information.

5. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

Eddie, I would get some adjustable stands. At least for the rears since you will probably need to experiment with the positioning. I am in the same delima as you with the rear couch against the wall. I am going to pull my couch out a little off the wall and place my rears about 1' off both ends of the couch on stands.

6. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

7. Andrew V

Andrew V Stunt Coordinator

8. Eddie Wimberly

That last dolby site was most helpful. Now, where can I get some of those DVD and Sound adjustment kits? In other words, a kit to help me adjust my sound level and my picture on my tv.

9. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    Eddie,
    The two DVDs used most often are the "Avia Guide to Home Theater" by Ovation and "Video Essentials". Avia seems to be more popular, but either one is fine. They provide slightly different test patterns. Both are available from most online DVD stores and should be available at local A/V retailers or music stores in their DVD sections. You can also order them directly from the producers at the Ovation Web site at http://www.ovationsw.com/ and the Video Essentials Web site at http://www.videoessentials.com/index_2.htm
    Both include color filters to use to adjust your TV picture.
    In order to set your speaker levels, you'll need to get a Sound Pressure Level meter. Radio Shack sells one for about $40. If you can, get the analog version (catalog # 33-2050), not the digital one. It's easier to set the sound level while watching the needle move than by waiting for the LCD numbers to stablilze. You can order it online from the RS Web site at http://www.radioshack.com/
    I hope this helps a little.

10. Eddie Wimberly

Very helpful. Now, anyone have any recommendations at to which speaker stands to buy? I'm looking for adjustable ones preferably.

Also, are there any other sites about speaker placement/fine tuning besides the dolby one?

11. Eddie Wimberly

Anyone?

12. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

Eddie,
    The Swedes are pretty good with audio. I found this
    site very good: http://www.sonicdesign.se
    Using a sound level meter is not always a simple 'match the needle' exercise.
    SPL meters, like your hearing, loose sensitivity at low
    frequencys. Therefore, you must 'dial in' the reccomended compensation to get correct readings. Read the manual!
    Don't forget the ear plugs.
    JRS