What's new

New HT in Sun City, Ca (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
DFurr said:
So what are other members of this Forum using as a dowser in front the their digital projector to allow cuing the start of a movie without allowing all the garbage on the screen? I've got a couple of ideas including a mechanical slider device mounted in front of the lens driven by a small electric actuator mounted in the attic. Another idea is actually communicating with the Epson 5010 through it's RS232 connection with commands for light off/on or maybe commands to close and open the built-in shutter in front of the lens.

How have other solved this problem?

Hi Don,

I just have the Blu-ray player pre-cued to the start of the film and use my Epson's "picture mute" function. Hit play on Blu player, wait 2 seconds, then un-mute projector - it's not perfect, but gets the job done for me. Over on the 35mm forum Bernie A. mentioned that he rigged an old Kelmar 35mm changeover as a mechanical dowser for his video projector similar to what you mention here. Knowing Bernie, I'm sure it's fully automated and works perfectly.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Peter Apruzzese said:
Hi Don,

I just have the Blu-ray player pre-cued to the start of the film and use my Epson's "picture mute" function. Hit play on Blu player, wait 2 seconds, then un-mute projector - it's not perfect, but gets the job done for me. Over on the 35mm forum Bernie A. mentioned that he rigged an old Kelmar 35mm changeover as a mechanical dowser for his video projector similar to what you mention here. Knowing Bernie, I'm sure it's fully automated and works perfectly.
Peter thanks for the "projector mute" idea but my Epson 5010 remote control doesn't have a picture mute functon. Which Epson are you working with?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
My mistake, it's not called Mute, it's called "Blank" on my remote (Epson 8350 projector), bottom right.

powerlite_8350.jpg

Edit - looking at a picture of your remote online, it's in the same spot and called "Blank" also:

155818801.jpg

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Glad to help. I want to get a universal remote that can, with one push, trigger my Hue lights to dim in the sequence I want, hit play on the Blu machine, fade up the audio, and then unblank the projector as the screen lights fade out. One day...

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Peter Apruzzese said:
Glad to help. I want to get a universal remote that can, with one push, trigger my Hue lights to dim in the sequence I want, hit play on the Blu machine, fade up the audio, and then unblank the projector as the screen lights fade out. One day...
The Epson is mounted in the rear of the screening room on the ceiling and I'm having to shoot the commands through 3/8" thick glass in front of the 35mm projector. I found out this morning that the remote MUST me touching the glass for the signal to get to the Epson. Crazy what you discover playing around with this stuff!!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You two guys are in a whole other universe!

And I am enjoying every minute of your discussions here (although I'm not sure why!). :laugh:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Mike Frezon said:
You two guys are in a whole other universe!

And I am enjoying every minute of your discussions here (although I'm not sure why!). :laugh:

I spent too many years in the projection booth attempting good showmanship :) .

I want to have full control like I used to have there. If my room wasn't width-challenged, I'd have a curtain traveler going in. As it is, I'll settle for simulating it with lights as I can afford to get them.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Peter Apruzzese said:
Wow Peter they might just be the ticket I'm needing to increase the signal strength through that thick glass. Using that "blank" button is going to save me from installing a dowser device in front of the Epson. I really hate all those distracting "things" on my travel curtain before I'm ready to start the show.

This has been a very productive thread. Thanks again!!

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Playing tonight in the D&D Home Theatre:

Gonna rock the house!!

Attachments

• mamma mia.jpg
    mamma mia.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 74

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Feel like a little classic horror tonight with some fresh popcorn so........

13 Ghosts (1960) original 35mm b&w print with new restored color sequences. It's a treat to watch! Grab your "ghosts" viewers.

Attachments

• 13 Ghosts.jpg
    13 Ghosts.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 84

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Tonight in the HT......I really prefer the original 1959 version, but for what it's worth, House On Haunted Hill, 35mm SRD print.

Attachments

• house on haunted hill.jpg
    house on haunted hill.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 77

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Did some lighting modifications and finished trimming out the proscenium. I like the effect much better than the original design.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Really looking forward to tonight's movie in the home cinema.

"The Longest Day". My all time favorite war movie.....all 3 hours of it.

Attachments

• longest day.jpg
    longest day.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 79

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
DFurr said:
Really looking forward to tonight's movie in the home cinema.

"The Longest Day". My all time favorite war movie.....all 3 hours of it.

Do you have a print of this? :)

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Dr Griffin said:
Do you have a print of this? :)
I owned a 4 track magnetic print of this 20 years ago and to this day regret selling it. Having said that the Blu Ray is stunning. My print had some lines and scratches so the Blu Ray looks better. But the magnetic track was one of the smoothest I've ever heard. I'm not sure the Blu Ray track measures up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks