What's new

New HT in Sun City, Ca (1 Viewer)

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Audio processing rack. Includes monitor for 6 channels, amplifiers for all channels and Dolby 650 processor.

Attachments

• speech rack   152550.jpg
    speech rack 152550.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 86

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Dave Moritz said:
I really should get this scanned and put on a bluray disc and as a mpeg file. I will need to start looking around to see how much it will cost.
Hey Dave when you finish scanning that to Blu ray, I'll buy that piece of 35mm from you!! I've got a lot of DTS and Dolby Digital snipes on 35mm but not that one.....and all of my speakers are JBL.

EDIT::

On second thought Dave, when you get through with scanning the JBL piece, I'll trade you a extra length DTS snipe so you can have both!!!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Will keep that in mind and think about it. Not sure when I will be able to transfer it, out of work right now. I don't think this has been through a projector yet I got it from a JBL rep years ago.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Very cool, Don. Very cool.

I guess I could see where the noise from a projector unit like that could really require some serious thought about sound issues from the projector booth filtering into the theater area.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Mike Frezon said:
Very cool, Don. Very cool.

I guess I could see where the noise from a projector unit like that could really require some serious thought about sound issues from the projector booth filtering into the theater area.
Mike the wall between the projection booth and the screening area is typical home wall construction with the standard lay-in fiber insulation. The glass between the projector and the screen is 3/8" optical glass so it won't pass any sound. Also on the screening room side of that wall is 1 1/2 inch thick light concrete coating. The only noise right now is coming from the hollow wood doors but I'm about to cover both sides of the door with thick cork material. Hopefully that will take care of the noise being generated by the equipment.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Well, I've been privileged with the honor of being invited to see Don's beautiful "MOVIE THEATER!" Not to be confused with a "HOME THEATER (mine now)" or a MEDIA CENTER (not a dedicated home theater).

My first visit was quite informative. I'd only been in a projection room once in my life. When I was a Fire Inspector for the Los Angeles Fire Dept., myself and another inspector were at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood watching a double feature (Destination Moon and Robinson Crusoe on Mars-autographs included) and did a tour of the projection room. It was so cool to look down at the audience and have all that power to manipulate how they see the picture in your hands...only a movie geek could come up with that analogy.

Just as the pics show, it was awesome seeing a 35mm projector in someone's garage! His 150" 10' wide 2.35:1 screen is a sight to behold! His 6' rear, center and sub-woofers are huge...they bring the theater experience home to you! Plus (the JBLS) they are certified to produce the best sound that they possibly can!!!

He showed me some 35mm trailers, which, by the way, are much clearer than BDs!!! Maybe that's why they want to do 4K or maybe 8K restorations of movies in the future. I even got to watch a portion of a 3-D 35mm film...Don will probably kill me, but I think it was Halloween 3 or Friday the 13th part 3. Let me tell you that watching a 3-D film vs a 3-D BD film is night and day. The 35mm 3-D is so much more real.

We also watched the BD of Avatar in 3-D...is was so much different than the 35mm. Take off the glasses on the 35mm 3-D and the image is blurred, but do the same with the BD and it turns into a 2-D film...I don't know why.

My second visit, I actually got to watch a full reel of trailers, but alas, the bad news was the reel broke half way through. The good news was I actually got to see how a reel was spliced together and I was awarded the 24 frames of the movie that were lost...another treasure to add to my movie collection!

Don has done a wonderful job of bringing the movie experience to his home and I am so glad that I was able to experience it. The only thing that I have not experienced is actually watching a full movie, 3-D or what ever, eating fresh popcorn out of a 1950's or older actual movie theater popcorn maker or munching on a hotdog cooked on a real movie theater hotdog cooker...number 10 on my bucket list!!!

So Don, thank you for allowing me to come to your home and see the wonderful job that turned your garage into a 'MOVIE PALACE!!!" I'll take you up on that offer to bring the wife to a movie night...what a guy!!!

All the best,

Sparky

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
So what are other members of this Forum using as a dowser in front the their digital projector to allow cuing the start of a movie without allowing all the garbage on the screen? I've got a couple of ideas including a mechanical slider device mounted in front of the lens driven by a small electric actuator mounted in the attic. Another idea is actually communicating with the Epson 5010 through it's RS232 connection with commands for light off/on or maybe commands to close and open the built-in shutter in front of the lens.

How have other solved this problem?

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Watched "Interstellar" last night for the first time. HOLY COW, I had to turn my Dolby processor down from 5.5 to 3.8. The subs were tearing the house down!! LOL I've never heard anything like that before in our HT. Crazy.

Attachments

• IMG_2138.JPG
    IMG_2138.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 90

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
DFurr said:
Watched "Interstellar" last night for the first time. HOLY COW, I had to turn my Dolby processor down from 5.5 to 3.8. The subs were tearing the house down!! LOL I've never heard anything like that before in our HT. Crazy.

Well Don, you're now the hit of the neighborhood...sound wise that is!!! :3dglasses:

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Lol John. Since this is a retirement neighborhood, most of the residents have a "slight" hearing problem. I've done some listening test and I don't hear anything once I leave our property. Having said that, the two 18 inch JBL subs would have got the close neighbor's attention had I left it turned up to a "normal" level. It was really beyond the pale.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Ha Ha Mike, I guess they might have thought it was just another quake out here!! I hadn't thought about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks