What's new

New HT in Sun City, Ca (1 Viewer)

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Hauling film between the house and the screening room!! Getting too old to pick all the heavy film up. The dolly makes it much easier.
IMG-8043.jpg

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Although I'm 100% happy with my Dolby converted 3D lens, this year long Covid thing has made life a bit boring. I've screened every 3D title I own at least twice over the past 12 months.
I had the opportunity to convert yet another 3D lens to the Panavision 3D system. Both Panavision and Technicolor came out with the 3D 35mm lens about the same time in 2009 but for unknown reasons Technicolor won out and the Panavision system barely got off the ground. Both basically the same. Both can be used on white screens instead of silver ones but I've been told the Panavision requires less light than the Technicolor lens. Anyhow I've got the Panavision conversion snap on filters and Panavision 3D glasses coming from Uruguay so something new to test during the Spring.

The glasses on the left are Panavision and on the right are Dolby.

20210311_231440.jpg
20210311_231641.jpg
IMG-8303.jpg

Last edited:

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
So after extensive testing and evaluating the difference between my Dolby 3D and my new Panavision 3D systems, I have determined the Panavision is superior to the Dolby although I'll use the Dolby on my prints of House of Wax (1953) and Dial M For Murder. These two print have faded to the red side so color is not important. The main plus of the Panavision lens is the color. It has brighter color than the Dolby lens. In all fairness, the Panavision filters are much higher quality than the Dolby filters. For sure both are better than the original polarized version plus there's no dreaded silver screen involved.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Occasionally in my film collecting life I have been lucky finding holy grail film prints that have always seemed impossible to find. The first time, years ago, I ran across a print of the original Halloween (1978) printed on no fade film stock while all the original release prints had faded to red, losing all the color. This was a one-of-a-kind new print that was struck from the original negative for a special CineMax television screening. It wound up in a storage locker in Los Angeles. Long story short, the owner didn't know what he had and I bought the print for $250.00. I had the only perfect color Halloween 35mm print in the country. Several years later I sold it for a LOT of money. For the second time in my lifetime I've found a holy grail film print. Today I bought a like-new, 2002 reprint with perfect color of Dial M For Murder in 3D. Like the original Halloween prints, all existing copies of the film are faded to red and hard to watch. This was a one run print made for a special showing and ended up in the hands of an Australia collect who I bought it from. So twice now in the past 15 years I've been in the right place at the right time. Lucky me!!

Last edited:

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Added a few more 35mm prints to the collection including Patriot Games (scope, Dolby SR) and Memphis Belle (Flat, Dolby Stereo (A). Watching Memphis Belle tonight.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Screen shots from tonight's screening of Dial M For Murder, 35mm 3D. Pardon the fuzzy images as these were taken uncorrected (no 3D glasses) directly from the screen. Amazing movie!!

Attachments

• IMG-8694.jpg
    IMG-8694.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG-8693.jpg
    IMG-8693.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG-8696.jpg
    IMG-8696.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG-8697.jpg
    IMG-8697.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG-8698.jpg
    IMG-8698.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG-8681.jpg
    IMG-8681.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG-8683.jpg
    IMG-8683.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG-8686.jpg
    IMG-8686.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Here's a picture (behind the screen frame) of our old screening room in Atlanta, Ga. before moving to California. The same LCR and dual 18" subs we're using out here. All JBL's.
Not shown are the left, right and rear surrounds which are also JBL's.
Our new screen is much wider and taller.
speakers.jpg

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
I read through several threads about placement of more than one sub woofer.
When I placed my second 18" JBL sub I experimented for a entire day placing the subs in different locations behind my microperf screen. At one point I had the subs 8 feet apart facing each other and that was a huge improvement over facing the subs toward and rear of the screening room. Truth is the "thud" was more than I thought was necessary so out here in So Cal I placed the subs about 10 feet apart and facing the audience. If memory serves my correctly, both are set on around 100 db. I love a healthy sub passage.
John Rice was correct when he suggested it depends on the room and placement of the subs. It takes time to find the best spot for dual subs. Just make sure the ports are not obstructed and the voice coils are not playing into a wall.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
For those members not familiar with the older side by side 3D titles ( there were two first released in 1972, House of Wax and Dial M For Murder) here's a couple of pictures from the film stock.

Attachments

• 20210427_193725_resized(1).jpg
    20210427_193725_resized(1).jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 20210427_193812_resized(1).jpg
    20210427_193812_resized(1).jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 63

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
For those members not familiar with the older side by side 3D titles ( there were two first released in 1972, House of Wax and Dial M For Murder) here's a couple of pictures from the film stock.
What's your optical equipment for running these? Obviously an anamorphic lens to unsqueeze the image, but do you also have a polariser that's split vertically?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks