New HT in Sun City, Ca

DFurr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
There's one thing about summer time......T.V. viewing sucks. Except for Live PD on Friday and Saturday nights we don't watch much on the tube. Summer time equals movie watching time and we do watch a ton of movies during the summer months. After screening Friday the 13th Part 3 in 3D last night I thought I was done with 3D for a few weeks but today I find myself wanting to watch one more 3D movie. I just can't decide which one to watch. I did a good cleaning job on my 3D print of Jaws recently so I might want to see how that turned out. So tonight it's between Jaws 3D and Amityville 3D. Hmmmmmm.....what to do?

DFurr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
JAWS 3 3D...a no brained!
Ha ha John Sparks. Jaws 3D was my pick as well but then going down the film racks I saw GREASE and that just said something to me. So, I pulled out GREASE and that what we watched tonight. 35mm, Dolby A, 1978 2:35 (this is a 1994 print)

grease.jpg

DFurr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I realize that not everyone loves 3D and the truth is 10% of the population can't even see 3D. 3D has appeared and disappeared more time than I care to count. There's no doubt that AVATAR (2009) opened the flood gates once again. No one to blame but James Cameron for that!! I, for one, am very glad he did because during the transition from 35mm to digital, Technicolor 3D was also born making it possible for theatres to show 3D product for those theatre operators who didn't think that the digital conversion was going to last and didn't want to spend 30-40 thousand dollars for each digital projector!! Although my collection is made up of the best of the 3D titles from the 80's 3D reboot, the quality and equipment upgrades for the new Technicolor prints far exceeds their predecessors. I guess I've never understood the disdain so many people have for 3D. Is it a gimmick? Sure it is but I consider much of the new CGI a gimmick as well.
As far as our home theatre is concerned, we'll continue to screen 3D movies in both digital and 35mm until the curtain closes for the last time.
RANT OVER.
This rant was the product of a conversation I recently had with another film collector. He doesn't care for 3D.
3D day.jpg

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm just happy the current wave has lasted as long as it has. Maybe the gap to the next big 3D moment won't be as long. I suspect the pandemic will cause producers to reexamine 3D as a way of getting butts in seats, and maybe *fingers crossed* they won't treat it like a cash cow to be exploited for maximum profit, because this most recent wave should have taught them that the people will revolt against things like surcharges, especially when the greed is so transparent. I'm looking at you, Clash of the Titans.

DFurr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I suspect 3D will remain alive at least until Christmas, 2021 when Avatar is released. That will surely drawn in the 3D traffic.

• Agreed
Reactions: Stephen_J_H

DFurr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Today we purchased the $39.99 Roku stick so we could stream Amazon Prime in our home theatre. Had trouble getting it on the screen and when we did it took forever to set everything up but when I finally put the picture on the screen it was impressive. Sharp, hi def 1080P picture and the track was impressive as well. Tomorrow night we're going to watch Knives Out. For those of you who wanted to know......Roku works great on the OPPO 103. Just make sure you use the setup that applies 115 volts to the Roku stick. It would not work for us without using that application. All of the necessary cables and hardware is included in the $39.99 kit. We bought ours from Target. Their listed price is $49.99 but they will match Amazons price.

DFurr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
In my collection of movie theatre signs I ran across something interesting. One of the SDDS signs have a small added SDS and the other one doesn't. I had retired from the movie business before SDDS was introduced so I don't know which one was first or even why there was a difference. Maybe someone on the forum can answer the question.

IMG-7943.jpg
IMG-7944.jpg

DFurr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I was recently given a gift which turns out to be one of the Holy Grail's of 80's movie trailer collecting. It's a brand new, never run copy at that. (I've run it twice)
Remember when the horror movies from the 80's were actually FUN to watch.
Feast your eyes on Return of the Living Dead (1988).

IMG-7945.jpg

DFurr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
From the world of film collecting.

Just purchased a 35mm print of House of Wax (1953) in 3D. The color is mostly faded but that won't affect the 3D elements of the film. Some will ask why would you want to mess around with a faded print of HOW when the Blu Ray is stunning and with perfect color? Answer: I'm a film guy...it's what I do.
And even more exciting is a deal I'm about to close on is one big deal. An IB Technicolor roadshow print of Ben-Hur and it's a magnetic stereo/optical print. Bad news is I don't play back with mag stereo any longer. So this print will be screened in MONO!!!

HOW.jpg
ben Hur.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Looks like you have made alot of nice upgrades over the past few years. You ever get ahold of an original DTS poster to go with your DTS decoder?

So after living with DTS for awhile in your theater would you say you feel you still prefer Dolby Digital or has DTS won you over.

DTS Poster Framed 12_2019.jpg

DFurr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Dave my preferred audio format is SDDS. I always run a DTS backup in case the SDDS has drop outs. which it does. Dolby digital is my third choice and that of course is followed by SR. Some 35mm prints don't have both SDDS and DTS (example From Dusk Till Dawn....it has SDDS and Dolby Digital) but most print have both formats available.

DFurr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I don't have any posters displayed but I have some nice one's that I've collected over the years. I keep most of them rolled and put away. I quit doing paper years ago.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepanshutbtasi