What's new

New HT in Sun City, Ca (1 Viewer)

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Looking for some advice on 3D glasses.
I've been using an EPSON 5010 for 6 plus years and have hated the EPSON glasses that came with the unit.
I've tried two different brands of glasses over the years and neither worked despite claims from the manufacturers selling the glasses.

Can anyone suggest a brand of 3D glasses different and more comfortable than the EPSON version. I don't mind paying a premium as long as the glasses work correctly and feel comfortable.

HELP!!!!!

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Decided to run Jurassic Park again this afternoon with the main purpose of running the print through the Kelmar film cleaner. I was very surprised at how dirty the film was considering how beautiful it looked the first time we screened it. I guess you can't judge a book by it's cover!!

IMG-5671.JPG

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
My new toy! This set up makes doing room EQ really a lot easier. It's designed to work with my Dolby CP500 digital processor and uses 4 Beyer Dynamic MM1 mikes. I'll see how this works in the next day or two.

mikes 1.jpg
IMG-5700.JPG

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Finished today installing a new 3 lens turret. Now I'm able to leave my 3D lens in the turret. It was no easy job to convert it but well worth the time and trouble. No more changing out lens to run the 3D format. Whew!!

Three lens turret.jpg

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Newest project.
I've determined that finding 35mm titles in 4 track magnetic stereo is extremely difficult. I've been set up for almost 2 years to project magnetic stereo prints and have had no luck finding affordable titles. Not only that but the prints are old, many of them brittle and some have magnetic track damage which of course affects what you hear in the speakers. So, I've removed all of the equipment necessary to do that.....NO MORE mag stereo prints in my screening room.
So it's on to adding the third and remaining digital format that I don't currently have.....SDDS, Sony Dynamic Digital Sound. The equipment, processor and reader is on the way from Florida. To do this right I'll should add two additional screen channels since the SDDS processes 8 digital channels (5 screen, left and right surround and sub.) I don't know yet whether the EX channels will work with SDDS or not. To be determined. Hopefully I'll have it up and running by Thanksgiving!

Sony1.jpg
Sony2.jpg

Attachments

• Sony3.jpg
    Sony3.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 101

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Progress on the SDDS installation. Processor is in the rack, reader is installed with the DTS reader on top. Tomorrow is aligning the readers with the film path and then doing the necessary wiring and cabling to merge the new processor into the master system.
IMG-5821.JPG
sdds install.jpg

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
SDDS installation complete. We ran our first full feature tonight....."Thirteen Ghosts". Sounded really great but there are some level adjustments still to be made. I'll be playing with this thing for at least another week!!

IMG-5850.JPG

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
So my recently installed Sony SDDS processor failed over the weekend. It started with the Pink Noise generator becoming unreliable while setting levels then several of the channels became uncontrollable. These SDDS units are old and components are subject to fail. Good news is I found another one about 80 miles from our house so I'm meeting the seller tomorrow to pick up the unit. Hopefully it will last longer than 3 or 4 days!!

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
The other SDDS processor I picked up seems to be holding up well without any audio dropouts. Using the Pink noise generated from the processor, I've set rough levels in all channels except the EX rear channels waiting on a set of custom cables that replaces some older generation switches and wiring I'm currently using. Sitting on my hands until those cables arrive.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Well this seems to be my week for things to BREAK!! Noticed one of my sub woofers cracking last night. It needs a re-coning but I decided to just replace it with a JBL speaker. This speaker (pictured) is what came out of the JBL speaker cabinet. This brand isn't even made any longer. So I ordered a JBL 2241H 18", 8 ohm, 600 watts replacement.
At least it was free shipping!
IMG-5859.JPG

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Wow - I've *never* seen anyone in Hollywood address that issue. Kudos to Cruise and McQuarrie.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Finally, two projects finished! New 18 inch JBL sub replaced and new cables that tie the SDDS and DTS readers together installed, levels set and the ability to defaults back and forth tested.
Time to eat popcorn and watch movies!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks