What's new

New HT in Sun City, Ca (2 Viewers)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Don, nice setup and an excellent job. A question though, I notice you don't have any sound absorbing material around your speakers or on the back and side walls. How has your sound measured, any suckouts due to Allison Effect, since your boundaries are hard? I'm asking because I am planning out a similar screen and speaker setup, and I'm curious just how much prep I will need to do to the behind screen area. Thanks.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Don, I gather you have Oppo bluray with 8ch set to 6ch and do you have RCA to D-25 lead to back of 650 on 6ch input external format 11.

Do you have windows pc rigged up to 650 as its all software remote controlled for setting analogue and digital sound EQ levels frame rate delay surround, gosh I looked partly though the manual on/off over the years. I only have CP500 CP65 55 and SDDS that is pc software controlled but can be controlled on front panel for most settings is 650 like that as the 500 is easy to set-up thou it has port for pc for updates or will download updates from some 35mm.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Dr Griffin said:
Don, nice setup and an excellent job. A question though, I notice you don't have any sound absorbing material around your speakers or on the back and side walls. How has your sound measured, any suckouts due to Allison Effect, since your boundaries are hard? I'm asking because I am planning out a similar screen and speaker setup, and I'm curious just how much prep I will need to do to the behind screen area. Thanks.
My plans include cutting and fitting sound board around the speakers. Truth is it sounds so good the way it is it might be a waste of my time and money doing the sound absorbing job. In a small room I think a "flat" EQ works really well. Those issues don't seem to be as critical as dealing with a much larger room.
Big rooms bring on many more challenging issues. With the room consumed with the ever-present sound from large speakers it's hard for me to get too picky! ;)

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
andySu said:
Don, I gather you have Oppo bluray with 8ch set to 6ch and do you have RCA to D-25 lead to back of 650 on 6ch input external format 11.

Correct.

Do you have windows pc rigged up to 650 as its all software remote controlled for setting analogue and digital sound EQ levels frame rate delay surround, gosh I looked partly though the manual on/off over the years. I only have CP500 CP65 55 and SDDS that is pc software controlled but can be controlled on front panel for most settings is 650 like that as the 500 is easy to set-up thou it has port for pc for updates or will download updates from some 35mm.

Yes, I have a PC with software.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
DFurr said:
My plans include cutting and fitting sound board around the speakers. Truth is it sounds so good the way it is it might be a waste of my time and money doing the sound absorbing job. In a small room I think a "flat" EQ works really well. Those issues don't seem to be as critical as dealing with a much larger room.
Big rooms bring on many more challenging issues. With the room consumed with the ever-present sound from large speakers it's hard for me to get too picky! ;)
Simple cheapest route is drapes well look at most classic cinemas that have drapes all around the auditorium.

Have you walked around the room clapping your hand (one clap at a time) and listen for any reflection bouncing off the hard parallel walls ceiling to floor. Every room will have it. Well your floor is carpeted just need drapes on the walls. Maybe some secondhand ones from ebay? Carpet on walls has been done at some cinemas I've been too but there's still a bit of echo due to the size room.

Get the fingers to slap against palm for nice clap.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
andySu said:
Simple cheapest route is drapes well look at most classic cinemas that have drapes all around the auditorium.

Have you walked around the room clapping your hand (one clap at a time) and listen for any reflection bouncing off the hard parallel walls ceiling to floor. Every room will have it. Well your floor is carpeted just need drapes on the walls. Maybe some secondhand ones from ebay? Carpet on walls has been done at some cinemas I've been too but there's still a bit of echo due to the size room.

Get the fingers to slap against palm for nice clap.
Nope....don't want any drapes on the walls. My room is pretty much dead or at least dead enough for me.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
DFurr said:
Nope....don't want any drapes on the walls. My room is pretty much dead or at least dead enough for me.
I can just see Dr.McCoy with his medical scanner. "The room is dead, Jim" :lol:

Mine is dead enough so I don't hear annoying echo degrading common dialogue into a layers and layers of echo that takes millisecond to decay in some large cinemas that don't have well treated auditoriums.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Over the years I've built several home theaters and one of the "fun" things has always been trying to find all the things that RATTLE in the house when releasing the power of two 18" JBL subs. I'll still finding new rattles after several weeks of screening movies.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Well easiest way is playing sine wave sweep tones (looped) or (manually). I use ether the Dolby CP500 own internal quick checking of speakers (recently for the new/used JBL 8330 to see if all is fine).

1902736_10152910395330149_4592786917973622098_n.jpg

For a little critical I'll use REW I can sweep (up and down) manually or set it to (loop over and over, over specific frequency range) while walking around the room to find that Buzz Rattle. Wavelength of the frequency might be weaker in areas of the room "the null" or The Black Hole" where light and sound can't escape it.

Rattles can come from maybe an item that is laying on flat surface and the certain lows at given SPL db fader level might excite it to rattle/buzz on narrow frequency or several of them in group.

10926405_10152983309010149_822683177382374086_n.jpg

Rattles can come from the LCR stage channels or the surrounds one of them or maybe a group of them? Subs is typical but always check the whole LCRS/SW though and can take anywhere from few minutes if lucky to few hours into days.

I used have letterbox that would rattle but sorted it out with a little Blu tack, stuck to outside of the letterbox so it won't rattle I think it was in 60 to 70Hz range?

More recently I noticed the cap that fits over the valve on the radiator and was eluding me, due to way it buzzed. I played a youtube sine wave sweep and used the wireless-mouse and placed the mouse over certain part of the time and kept pressing the button to repeat and walked around the room and found it.

I need only to push down on the cap and buzzing stopped.

Rubber mats or rubber feet placed underneath a sub will make small improvement, least I can notice the resonate change.

Rubber mats underneath the stage channels would help if placed on wooden stage.

Surrounds in typical USA homes due to plasterboard walls might resonate rattle/buzz at given SPL db level. A cheap rubber door mat cut to size and stuck behind it might work or thin large sheet foam cut to size or good ole Blu Tack.

Lucky I don't get too many rattles as the floor is concrete based. The windows I never heard them buzz/rattle once even at 126dbC on the sub for Earthquake (1974) or The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) when bow doors are torpedoed the only thing I noticed was the floor shimmered with mild wave that scared the wits out of me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
DFurr said:
After moving from Atlanta, Ga to Sun City, Ca our home screening room is 99% complete.

Projection consist of a Kinoton PK-60D 35mm projector, Epson 5010 digital projector ceiling mounted above the projection port window in the rear, Dolby CP650 digital processor,

We have a concession area as well consisting of a restored 1950 Manley theatre size popcorn machine and a theatre style hot dog steamer.
35mm projector and a hotdog steamer! Fantastic! What a wild and unique home theater!

I assume you host guests for film screenings, from time to time. Is part of the experience for them seeing how the film projector is setup and run? Do kids get a kick out of seeing the big mechanics of film?

How about trailers: do you also collect old film previews, etc?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions :) You've got such a novel setup. While I'll be happy enough to aspire to a digital projector, I imagine the aesthetics and visceral experience of your HT are quite something.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
DaveF said:
35mm projector and a hotdog steamer! Fantastic! What a wild and unique home theater!

I assume you host guests for film screenings, from time to time. Is part of the experience for them seeing how the film projector is setup and run? Do kids get a kick out of seeing the big mechanics of film?

How about trailers: do you also collect old film previews, etc?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions :) You've got such a novel setup. While I'll be happy enough to aspire to a digital projector, I imagine the aesthetics and visceral experience of your HT are quite something.
Hi Dave. No problems with the questions! When we lived in Atlanta we hosted movies parties all the time. We're new to SoCal so with new neighbors we've yet to have a movie night. That will change soon though.

Yes, I do collect old trailers including a six thousand foot reel of older horror/syfy titles dating back to the 50's. My genre interest is varied but my love is deeply rooted in the "horror" vain.

Kids do get a kick out of watching film run from a large reel, across the ceiling, through a large projector and taking back up on another large reel. Truthfully the kids had rather watch the popcorn coming out of the kettle than the projection booth!! (can't blame 'em. I love my popcorn as well)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's really neat. At Disney World, the Sci Fi cafe runs a loop of old monster movie clips and previews to enjoy while eating dinner; and it's surprisingly fun. I'm sure watching your reel of trailers is a total hoot!

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
DaveF said:
That's really neat. At Disney World, the Sci Fi cafe runs a loop of old monster movie clips and previews to enjoy while eating dinner; and it's surprisingly fun. I'm sure watching your reel of trailers is a total hoot!
Yep, I do love the old horror trailers. My prize trailer collection is a COMPLETE set of William Castle movie trailers. I watch 'em all the time. I grew up in the 50's-60's when Castle was doing his work like "House On Haunted Hill", "13 Ghost" (I have a restored 35mm print of that title), "The Tingler". As a kid, they scared the crap out of me!!

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Latest addition to the projection booth wall.....the Dolby CP650 remote. Allows me to change screening room total volume level as well as switch audio formats between mono, Dolby A, Dolby SR, Dolby Digital and 6 track analog from the OPPO BD103. It's a handy tool.

Attachments

• Dolby Remote  IMG_1912.JPG
    Dolby Remote IMG_1912.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 293

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
NIce set up I wish I had the money and a larger room and the space to do something like that. What model are those JBL's?

This is what I am using, unfortunantly I only have one pair and I wish I would have know my father was selling them earlier because he had two pair and a pair of 18" subs along with three 300 watt stereo commercial yamaha natural sound power amplifiers.

View attachment 14427

View attachment 16014

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Dave Moritz said:
NIce set up I wish I had the money and a larger room and the space to do something like that. What model are those JBL's?

This is what I am using, unfortunantly I only have one pair and I wish I would have know my father was selling them earlier because he had two pair and a pair of 18" subs along with three 300 watt stereo commercial yamaha natural sound power amplifiers.
Dave the left , center and right JBL's are 3678's THX approved. The subs are 4645C's and the surrounds are 8330's.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
DFurr said:
Latest addition to the projection booth wall.....the Dolby CP650 remote. Allows me to change screening room total volume level as well as switch audio formats between mono, Dolby A, Dolby SR, Dolby Digital and 6 track analog from the OPPO BD103. It's a handy tool.

This is the truest home cinema I've seen on this site. You have the ability to make every aspect of the presentaion just like a commercial cinema. The THX appproved components are icing on the cake.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Dr Griffin said:
This is the truest home cinema I've seen on this site. You have the ability to make every aspect of the presentaion just like a commercial cinema. The THX appproved components are icing on the cake.
Yep, those 3 stage speakers are THX approved but in NO way was the construction of my room in anyway close to the very strict requirements that must be met to be certified as a "true" THX room. I think a lot of folks put up a THX plaque on the wall but that is only for conversation, certainly not bragging rights. A THX room is very complicated in every way from construction to EQ'ing. But of course I'm sure you already knew all of that!!! It would be nice to have such a room but we're talking a lot of $$$$$$ to get it that way. ;)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
DFurr said:
Yep, those 3 stage speakers are THX approved but in NO way was the construction of my room in anyway close to the very strict requirements that must be met to be certified as a "true" THX room. I think a lot of folks put up a THX plaque on the wall but that is only for conversation, certainly not bragging rights. A THX room is very complicated in every way from construction to EQ'ing. But of course I'm sure you already knew all of that!!! It would be nice to have such a room but we're talking a lot of $$$$$$ to get it that way. ;)

Yes, I've read all of their literature, HAHA :) . It is especially more expensive and difficult to do it in an existing standard room. I am facing such a task, but I'll be happy with just getting all the rattles out.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Dr Griffin said:
Yes, I've read all of their literature, HAHA :) . It is especially more expensive and difficult to do it in an existing standard room. I am facing such a task, but I'll be happy with just getting all the rattles out.
Me too!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks