1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

New HT in Sun City, Ca

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DFurr, Jan 3, 2015.

1. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    I realized that I had not posted a picture of the new screen since the project has been completed. The magnifier lens I had installed in front of the Epson 5010 to blow up the picture so it would fit the new screen proved to be not so good. I detected a slight distortion at the bottom of the picture that I could not figure out how to eliminate so I removed it. As luck would have it with the Epson zoomed out all the way it fits the screen almost perfectly at 2:35:1 and of course 1:85 is a snap. I'm really loving my new screen!

IMG_4765. IMG_4767. IMG_4768.

Peter Apruzzese likes this.
  2. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    Rolled the Manley popcorn machine out on the lanai this afternoon and did my annual "deep-spring-cleaning". A lot of degreasing, glass polishing and metal buffing. At least it's clean for another Spring and Summer of movie watching and popcorn eating.
    IMG_4769(1).GIF

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Love the decorative lighting.

4. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    Screened This Island Earth tonight from the YouTube site. Very impressed how clean and sharp the picture was. Looks much better than streaming NetFlix.
    This was only the second YouTube screening we've done but I'll be doing more.

This Island Earth.

5. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    Made a decision to upgrade from 5.1 to 6.1. The upgrade PC board will be here Saturday but I've already begun to run the wire necessary for the change. I've mounted the rear discrete surround speakers and they are wired to the new amplifier. Next is the EX output of the Oppo BD player to the Dolby Digital processor and then rewiring the four surround channels from the processor to make the change. The fun just never ends!

PC board for the Dolby processor.
    Dolby 790.

6. Message #366 of 387 Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    Well, as with most projects, there's a small setback. Found out this afternoon that my Dolby processor doesn't have an eight channel analog input, only a six channel connection. That means I can't feed the EX channel to the processor from the Oppo. 35mm film with EX will be just fine but not BD's.
    This means I've got to upgrade the processor from the CP650 to a CP750.
    The search is own for a "good" deal on a 750.

EDIT:

I discovered this afternoon there might be a way to use the coaxial output of the Oppo 103 into the Dolby processor to obtain the 8 channel audio. The unanswered question now is will the Dolby CP650 read the 8 channel Oppo signal. If it will then all is well. I'm waiting for that answer from a renowned expert.
    Fingers and toes are crossed!!

7. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    The possibility of using the coaxial output of the Oppo into my processor proved to be not a workable idea.
    In the mean time I've installed two JBL 8330's surround speakers in the proper position on the rear wall for Dolby 6.1 replacing the smaller speakers I installed a week ago. They didn't match the other 4 surround speakers so I took 'em down and hung the 8330's. System sound very balanced at this point.
    So now I can project Dolby EX 35mm prints but still working on a solution to get the Oppo to be compatible with my Dolby processor so I can screen Blu Rays with the EX tracks encoded.
    This isn't going to be easy nor inexpensive!!

8. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    Here's a pic of the rear EX speakers.
    IMG_4854.

9. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    Just made a trade deal for a 35mm print of Vertical Limit. This title just happens to be an excellent example of the Dolby SRD EX track. Looking forward to screening this print over the weekend. Since I've installed the necessary hardware and speakers for the rear EX channel, I'm on a mission to obtain prints that really show off the addition channel. If you've not had an opportunity to see Vertical Limit, I highly recommend it with or without the EX channel in your home theatre. Vertical Limit.

10. Bernie Anderson

Bernie Anderson Auditioning

Bernie
    Don,

Is that a Century Projector Changeover Shutter in front of the lens? If so how does it work? The lens would be a bigger travel than for a 35mm opening.

11. Bernie Anderson

Bernie
    Pete,

What I ended up doing for my masking was use a "curtain call" track for side traveler masking and then I have top and bottom movable masking. Everything is motorized. The top is basically a shade with black masking and a metal edge sewn into the fabric to give a sharp border. The tube of the shade is just a 1 inch conduit cut to 8 feet. The fabric is wrapped around it and it unrolls like a window shade. It is controlled via pulleys and a Tom Thumb Masking motor. From the top tube I wound some cord at either end and it drops to connect to a bottom piece of masking. As the top rolls down, the cord is wound counter to this so it is pulled up with a 1:1 ratio. When I put digital in, I needed to have a common center to all projectors because the digital had a manual lens adjustment, so the masking needed to accommodate that. Both the 35mms and the digital didn't need to move once set and the 1.78 of the 35mm matched the digital image dimensions. I might change it out to use Somfy tube motors instead. They make a RTS system that is wireless and can save 3 stop settings. I would install a second pipe at the top to control the bottom masking independently. The reason for this is because the Epson 5040 has lens memory and I can make 1.37 bigger than the 35mm 1.37. I've been playing around with that idea. The masking is built into basically a 3 sided box with all the hard ware mounted to it and then the box is screwed to the ceiling. This way you can build everything level in the box and then level the box out to the ceiling. I've gone through SO many incarnations of the masking that I should just build them and sell them.

Bernie

12. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    Wow Bernie sounds like you've got everything under control!! I started to use my second Tom Thumb for a masking motor but just didn't want to hang another track on the ceiling so I decided on actuators on both sides to run the masking in and out on a stationary track. It works really well but there is a bit of noise when the motors run the masking back and forth. That's really not a problem except running trailers or cartoons before a 2:35 feature. I was really lucky that my Epson 5010 filled the new screen perfectly. That wasn't anything but good luck!! My PennyWise (Christie) automation does all the work so all I do is select the program number that fits the aspect ratio and audio tract (mono, SR, SRD or 4 tack magnetic) push the key fob button and away it goes. Projector starts, lamp lights, house light go down, curtain opens and the sensing tape on the end of the film reverses the order and the failsafe on the takeup turns off the lamp and stops the projector. It's pretty cool system.

13. Bernie Anderson

Bernie
    Don, was that a Century Changeover shutter in front of your projector?

14. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    Actually Bernie it is. It's attached to a 12 volt actuator that pulls it up and down. I tried the original Century c/o unit but it made too much noise. The custom built actuator is slower but much quieter.

15. Bernie Anderson

Bernie
    Interesting. Do you have a closeup picture of the actuator connected to the mount? The problem I find is that the travel is too little. It needs to open wider for these lenses opposed to the 35mm opening.

16. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    Feeling like a little horror remake tonight. First it was William Castle in 1959. This remake was 40 years later, 1999. I still love the original but the special effects are fun to watch on this new edition.
    So, here we go, House On Haunted Hill (1999), 35mm , Dolby Digital on the big screen.

House.

17. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    Saturday night in our HT an original IB Technicolor 35mm print of Ensign Pulver.
    Time for a little bit of MONO sound. Not everyone's favorite movie but worth the watch especially in Technicolor.

Ensign Pulver.

18. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    Feel like a dose of JAWS tonight. Haven't screened it since I installed the new matte white high gain screen.

jaws.

Attached Files:

19. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    A "reel" treat tonight. A new addition to the film collection. We screened a beautiful print of GLADIATOR (2000) tonight!! 35mm, Dolby Digital, EX on the big screen. First time watching this movie and I must say we were disappointed that Russell Crowe didn't survive. Excellent movie!!
    gladiator.

20. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    Well I bit the bullet and decided to go ahead and install DTS to the HT. It's a good insurance policy just in case the Dolby Digital goes down I can switch to DTS and no one will know the difference.
    Gotta mount the time code reader, rack mount the DTS processor and run the cables back and forth.
    This addition gives me the ability to project film in audio formats of mono, Dolby A, Dolby Digital, Dolby SR, DTS and 6 track magnetic stereo. Only thing I'm missing is SDDS and I can live without that!! Too much equipment.

DTS. dts-d600-35mm-reader-35mm-film_1_fdc775b9640d8fd695c6b2c61e4c4852.