1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

New HT in Sun City, Ca

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DFurr, Jan 3, 2015.

1. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    I realized that I had not posted a picture of the new screen since the project has been completed. The magnifier lens I had installed in front of the Epson 5010 to blow up the picture so it would fit the new screen proved to be not so good. I detected a slight distortion at the bottom of the picture that I could not figure out how to eliminate so I removed it. As luck would have it with the Epson zoomed out all the way it fits the screen almost perfectly at 2:35:1 and of course 1:85 is a snap. I'm really loving my new screen!

IMG_4765.jpg IMG_4767.jpg IMG_4768.jpg

Peter Apruzzese likes this.
  2. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    Rolled the Manley popcorn machine out on the lanai this afternoon and did my annual "deep-spring-cleaning". A lot of degreasing, glass polishing and metal buffing. At least it's clean for another Spring and Summer of movie watching and popcorn eating.
    IMG_4769(1).GIF

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Love the decorative lighting.

4. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    Screened This Island Earth tonight from the YouTube site. Very impressed how clean and sharp the picture was. Looks much better than streaming NetFlix.
    This was only the second YouTube screening we've done but I'll be doing more.

This Island Earth.jpg

5. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    Made a decision to upgrade from 5.1 to 6.1. The upgrade PC board will be here Saturday but I've already begun to run the wire necessary for the change. I've mounted the rear discrete surround speakers and they are wired to the new amplifier. Next is the EX output of the Oppo BD player to the Dolby Digital processor and then rewiring the four surround channels from the processor to make the change. The fun just never ends!

PC board for the Dolby processor.
    Dolby 790.jpg

Peter Apruzzese likes this.
  6. 366 Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    Well, as with most projects, there's a small setback. Found out this afternoon that my Dolby processor doesn't have an eight channel analog input, only a six channel connection. That means I can't feed the EX channel to the processor from the Oppo. 35mm film with EX will be just fine but not BD's.
    This means I've got to upgrade the processor from the CP650 to a CP750.
    The search is own for a "good" deal on a 750.

EDIT:

I discovered this afternoon there might be a way to use the coaxial output of the Oppo 103 into the Dolby processor to obtain the 8 channel audio. The unanswered question now is will the Dolby CP650 read the 8 channel Oppo signal. If it will then all is well. I'm waiting for that answer from a renowned expert.
    Fingers and toes are crossed!!

7. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    The possibility of using the coaxial output of the Oppo into my processor proved to be not a workable idea.
    In the mean time I've installed two JBL 8330's surround speakers in the proper position on the rear wall for Dolby 6.1 replacing the smaller speakers I installed a week ago. They didn't match the other 4 surround speakers so I took 'em down and hung the 8330's. System sound very balanced at this point.
    So now I can project Dolby EX 35mm prints but still working on a solution to get the Oppo to be compatible with my Dolby processor so I can screen Blu Rays with the EX tracks encoded.
    This isn't going to be easy nor inexpensive!!

8. DFurr

DFurr Second Unit
    Supporter

Don
    Here's a pic of the rear EX speakers.
    IMG_4854.jpg