What's new

New HT in Sun City, Ca (1 Viewer)

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Lol Sparky. I've actually thought about putting in an outdoor screen in the back yard with wireless headsets to keep it quiet. No film, just Blu Ray. The nights have the perfect weather for a "sit-in" theatre.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Tonight.....a remake that was almost as good as the original!!! I do love a 2:35:1 action movie.
poseidon.jpeg

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
New project for the home theatre.
There were two options I had to choose from ......installing a SDDS 8 channel system or reinstall (from several years ago) a magnetic track on film system. Both formats present their own issues. Both formats require a reader head and a processor.

I'm not convinced that SDDS sounds any better than my Dolby Digital. SDDS was used extensively by AMC Theatres and allowed for 5 channels behind the screen although some theatres combined the two extra screen channels on their respective side so in reality, not much different from Dolby Digital, two surround channels and a sub channel. The problem is that the SDDS tracks on 35mm film were placed on both outside edges of the film stock and tended to wear from both extended showings as well as improper handling causing dropouts in the audio. I opted to keep my Dolby Digital system.

So I'll be installing (for the second time in 5 years) a magnetic sound on film system. The format has been "dead" for years but used back in the 50's and 60's for many major motion pictures roadshow presentations. It's a four track stereo system that uses left, center, right and surround channels picked up from magnetic tracks that are secured to the film stock. This format does not have a sub channel or discreet surrounds. I would compare the audio quality to the much loved vinyl sound. Very, very smooth and doesn't have the processed zing we're accustomed to hearing in our local cinemas. No big booms or eye piercing sounds. As smooth as sipping on 20 year Port!!
The "con" of this format is damaged sound track on the film stock. The mag tracks can be scratched but in most cases there is likely to be damag caused by parts of the projector being magnetized. There is a process whereby one can demagnetized metal parts on the projector to prevent compromising mag tracks. It's a real pain by once it's demagnetized it's fairly easy to keep it that way.
Back in the day if a theatre didn't have the proper equipment to show, let's say West Side Story in magnetic stereo, they were limited to only a mono optical track. There is a huge difference.
Is all this trouble worth it? Not sure but it gives me a new project and it's a lot of fun to put the system together, tune it up and sit down a tub of popcorn and watch an old movie in 4 track magnetic stereo.
I'll provide some pictures as I install the equipment.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
As promised, for those interested in such things, here's the first picture of my work installing a 4 track magnetic sound on film reader on top of my Kinoton 35mm projector. I've repainted the case and installing new roller bearings for all the shafts. Alignment is critically important to insure the film is never in a bind as to cause unnecessary wear or damage to the film. The magnetic pickup head will read the audio tracts and send that information to a magnetic preamp which is then fed to the Dolby processor. This is a dying format in both 35mm and 70mm projection but it's nice to have when you have the opportunity to purchase a older Technicolor roadshow title in mag stereo. It just doesn't get much better than that.

FullSizeRender(4).jpg

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
First test run with a film loop. Seems to be operating correctly.
Next step is installing the mag preamp and wire in the reader cable. After that is running tone loops and aligning the pickup heads.

IMG_4319.JPG

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Tonight on the big screen HELLO DOLLY. Not everyone's favorite musical but it's high on my list. The Blu Ray looks fantastic and sounds great.
Hello-Dolly-DI.jpg

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
The hardware portion of the mag 4 track stereo system is finished. I'll be demagnetizing the entire system this afternoon and running tone test on all four channels tonight. Gotta set all the levels!

IMG_4379.JPG
IMG_4380.JPG

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Finally finished the demagnetizing and channel alignment so I decided to pull out my 4 track stereo technicolor print of "Thoroughly Modern Millie" this afternoon for a full fledged test of the mag system. Very impressive smooth sound. Some more minor adjusting to be done on the mag preamp EQ but I'm just about there.
It was a lot of fun listening to the walk-in, intermission and exit music on this roadshow print. They really knew how to put on a show back in the day. I miss those times from yesteryear.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
If you're looking for a great addition to your HT, might I suggest a Hot Dog Steamer. Here's a few pictures of the unit I found in a warehouse sale. We do a hot dog bar when we have movie parties. It's a nice addition to popcorn. The menu is one we put together which seems to suit just about anyone.
FYI, I paid $250 for the one we use.

IMG_2454.JPG
IMG_2417.JPG
IMG_2450.JPG

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
MY NEW PROJECT.....

As some of you know I a huge fan of both 35mm 3D and Blu Ray 3D. Projecting Blu Ray 3D is easy and requires little if any adjusting or fine tuning the projector. Projecting 35mm polarized film is can be a real pain in the butt but the results overshadow the hassle IMO.

So, I have purchased a new 3D lens for my 35mm projector that has been modified by removing the linear polarized filters and replaced with lens from Dolby 3D glasses which is a completely different viewing method. The seller of the lens, who lives in Uruguay swears that will allow me to project 35mm 3D film prints on a WHITE screen instead of the old school silver screen. Basically, he removed the old linear filter from the front of the lens, cut and secured the Dolby lens in their place and just like the Dolby 3D in movie theatres this allows you to view 3D product on a white screen.

I'm excited to try this new lens out because silver screens have always had their issues including hot spots depending on where you sit and a texture that has always looked weird under light from a xenon light source.

So I've hung my old matt white Technicoat screen in front of my curtain so I can test the lens when it arrives. If this works out, I'm buying a new micro pert matt white screen with a 1.4 gain.

I'll post pictures and reveal the results of the testing for those folks are are interested in these crazy things.

IMG_4462.JPG

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Still waiting on my new modified Sirius 3D lens shipment from Uruguay to experiment with Dolby 3D glasses on a white screen.
After examining a pair of Dolby 3D lens I have here at my house, I discovered the two lens have different color tints. One is sorta green and the other sorta red. They look somewhat like anaglyph 3D glasses. I decided to look at some anaglyph pictures using the Dolby lens and much to my surprise they actually work. Mind you not as well as regular anaglyph glasses but you do get a 3D depth effect. Amazing.
I'm also modifying another Sirius 3D lens replacing the linear polarized filters with lens from a Panavision set of glasses.
When the experimenting is all said and done, I'll decide which works better on a white screen, the modified Dolby lens or the Panavision lens.
Can't wait to get started on the comparison.

IMG_4478(1).JPG

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Still waiting on my new modified Sirius 3D lens shipment from Uruguay to experiment with Dolby 3D glasses on a white screen.
After examining a pair of Dolby 3D lens I have here at my house, I discovered the two lens have different color tints. One is sorta green and the other sorta red. They look somewhat like anaglyph 3D glasses. I decided to look at some anaglyph pictures using the Dolby lens and much to my surprise they actually work. Mind you not as well as regular anaglyph glasses but you do get a 3D depth effect. Amazing.
I'm also modifying another Sirius 3D lens replacing the linear polarized filters with lens from a Panavision set of glasses.
When the experimenting is all said and done, I'll decide which works better on a white screen, the modified Dolby lens or the Panavision lens.
Can't wait to get started on the comparison.

View attachment 40530
Dolby 3D is a unique format. You're not wrong when you say there is some similarity between Dolby 3D and anaglyph, as Dolby uses colour spectrum interference filters, which technically makes it an anaglyph format. I think you'll notice a substantial difference when actually projecting in Dolby 3D as opposed to trying to view anaglyphic 3D images through the filters. Because the filters don't block as much light as polarised filters do, a white screen can be used. Same is true of Panavision's 3D system. Infitec has been producing filters for digital home projection for some time now using their own variation on spectrum filtering. I think the only reason this didn't catch on in theatre projection is glasses cost. Colour spectrum interference filters are expensive, and Dolby 3D glasses have glass elements and cannot be recycled after use. They have to be washed and sanitised.

Count me as curious about your results. With over/under 3D effectively halving brightness, I'd like to know how this filter system works for you.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Count me as curious about your results. With over/under 3D effectively halving brightness, I'd like to know how this filter system works for you.

I will post all of my findings just as soon as those lens arrive and I run some test loops. After conversations with friends who are very astute about 3D matters, I'm not going to be surprised if the Panavision lens will require less light than the Dolby system. Regardless of which lens I decide to use, my plans are to retire my Harkness Silver screen and buy a new 1.4 gain matt white. It's the opinion of one expert that any gain over 1.4 causes hot spots in the center of the screen which over the years I've seen many times.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks