New HT First Impressions: KEF/SVS/Denon!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean L, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Sean L

Sean L Stunt Coordinator

After 6+ weeks of research, I finally have my new $2500 Home Theater installed and playing!!!
    I auditioned many speakers including B&W, Paradigm, Monitor Audio, Def Tech, Klipsch, Mirage, Wharfdale, and KEF, before I finally found what I was looking for....
    I went with KEF Q Series: Q7 mains, Q1s on 36" stands for surrounds, Q9c center, all in the dark apple finish, and the SVSubwoofers 25-31PCi (sub tuned to 22Hz by SVS), and a Denon AVR 2802. I am using A/R Pro interconnects, Sound King 12ga wire w/ Dayton bananas, and Studio Tech 36" SP stands for the surrounds.
    I bought EVERYTHING from Online resellers and I am happy to report that every reseller (4 in all) came through with FLYING COLORS. And while I did buy my KEFs and Denon from an unauthorized reseller, the prices were fantastic, I actually got the 2802 (new, factory sealed) for $469.
    I spent several hours on Saturday connecting everything. Fortunately, the system fired right up, no problems---I did download the SVS and Denon manuals 2 weeks ago and read them thoroughly
    I sampled a few scenes from Armageddon and Pearl Harbor, and as expected, it was awesome. The SVS filled my 20x15 room fabulously (even though I have 20ft+ ceilings). What an awesome sub! The Normandy Beach Landing scene in Saving Private Ryan was totally intense!
    On the more critical music listening, the KEFs are amazing. Very clear vocals on the Phantom of the Opera CD and some Christmas music.
    I do believe that I could probably benefit from a higher power receiver with the KEFs, but considering I blew my $2K budget out of the water ($3,011 for EVERYTHING delivered), I am very, very happy with the results. Perhaps some time next year I'll buy an Denon 3803 (or better) and sell my 2802 on eBay. Not sure yet.
    Thanks again to EVERYONE who gave me advice, ideas, etc. I had to go from ZERO HT/Stereo knowledge to educated consumer in a very short timeframe. And now that I have a bit of HT knowledge, I realize that it's only the tip of the iceberg. It's way more interesting than the IP security products I sell!
    I have posted some digital pics in the gallery over at AVS Forums:
    http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...1&ppuser=51722
    Regards,
    Sean in Nor Cal

2. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Nice setup Sean! Everything looks very neat and tidy too..I gotta do something with my wires and cables! [​IMG] I really like the sound of KEF speakers and the models I heard are much smaller and older than yours, so I am sure those sound great because they look it. I have Linn speakers that I am very proud of too though. I, like you have a 25-31..the 22-31CS model though. Looks great..congrats.

3. Todd Schnell

Todd Schnell Second Unit

Sean,
    That is indeed a nice set up.
    While I haven't had a chance to hear them, the KEF speakers sure are nice looking.
    Congrats on your theater. [​IMG]
    Todd

4. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Yep, I think you can expect to be very satisfied with the KEFs. I know I sure like them a lot. If you get a chance, listen to their new Reference line. Very nice sounding speakers.

If you don't mind my asking, which online retailer did you get the KEFs from?

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Congrats.

I have a friend that has a somewhat similar setup (4800 + Qs), and I felt it sounded very good. KEFs are great, and while I am not a big fan of Denon, the combination of the two seems to work very well.

6. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

G'day,
    The Q7's are excellent speakers, have heard the older Q65's myself, and for what the online sellers are letting them go for, are an amazing bargain (ditto for your Denon). If you get bitten by the audio bug and spend your time listening to a lot of music, the Q7's will couple well with high-end electronics (2 channel preamps, power amps, and cd players). They will sound amazing [​IMG] .
    Cheers,
    Mike

7. Donald_Spry

Donald_Spry Stunt Coordinator

Sean,
    Where did you pick up your KEF's? I am looking to get the Q1's or Q3's.

Thanks,
    DJ Spry

8. Sean L

Sean L Stunt Coordinator

9. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

www.soundpros.com seems to be the cheapest I've seen online for the Q series speaker. I'm not sure about elegantaudiovideo, since they don't have a price posted on their website. Since I have a friend also looking for some Q1s, I'll probably advise that he give those guys a call.

10. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Sean: very elegant looking setup there!! I like it a lot! [​IMG]
    One question: do you feel like the picture is a little high?

11. Sean L

Sean L Stunt Coordinator

Hi Richard. Thanks.

To answer your question, no, I don't think the TV is too high. The TV sat on the floor for the first 4 weeks after we moved in, and it was WAY too low. I think it's just about perfect the way it sits right now. If it were much higher, like 24"+, then I'd say yes, too high given our current seating configuration/distance.

With my current setup, the Elite EL-475 stand is 19" tall.
    For comparison purposes, the Toshiba stand that matches my TV is 16 17/32" tall, so I'm pretty close there.

In my last house, I had a built-in entertainment center and this TV sat approx. 22" high, which was great, I was actually sitting about 2' further back than I am now.

Regards,

Sean
    San Ramon, CA

12. Donald_Spry

Also, www.Soundseller.com seems to be an excellent place for purchasing the Q's. They are an authorized KEF dealer,and actually were a bit cheaper than both eleganaudiovideo and soundpros (but not by much). I will most likely go with them ($339 for the Q1).
    Sean, very nice looking set-up. I am sure the sound is equally as impressive. Nice job.
    DJ

13. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Donald, the sound sellers web page indicates that the KEFs can only be bought through their retail outlet. I guess that is incorrect? How much are they charging for shipping?

14. Donald_Spry

They didn't say exactly, but I asked them if it would be around $30 and they said it would be right around there.

I didn't even notice that blurb on their website. I hope I can get these before they change their mind.

DJ