New HT, Finally!

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Neil Campbell, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Neil Campbell

After a couple of months of reading, worrying, agonizing, comparison shopping and persuading, I think I finally have all the basics together (and it is pretty basic!). I had hoped to keep it under $5000 (Canadian) and so far, I'm a few bucks under (but I still would like a universal remote and a sound meter). This is what it is so far:

Toshiba 51H83 RPTV
    Panasonic RP-62K DVD player
    Yamaha HTR-5550 Receiver
    Athena Point 5 Surround system (includes subwoofer)
    Apollo 28" speakers stands for front speakers
    Sonax SR-5044 audio stand
    Cables (12 gauge speaker wire, AR Master Series component, digital optical, surge bar,...)

I've still got regular old cable. I'm considering Shaw Digital or satellite but that may have to wait.

Also, I have no way to record anything yet. I don't know if an S-VHS recorder or maybe a PVR is the way to go.

Thanks for reading. I'll try to figure out how to post a picture sometime.

2. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Congrats, man. I'm just a couple of weeks away from finalizing my HT so I share your elation and excitement. Grat fun! Enjoy it.

3. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Hey Neil, congrats on the new gear.
    Where in BC are you? I'm in Nanaimo over on the island.
    Depending on where you are I would hold on buying the Shaw digital cable box. Shaw has introduced a few HD channels in Vancouver and rumour is that the island is not far off. You would need to buy Motorola DCT 5100 though ($700 yeesh) which is why I say hold off on the $200 DCT 2000 which you would need for digital cable.

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Don't forget to check on whether you are buying the New or OLD Point 5 system.

The new version drops in price($700 at Future Shop) but DOESN't include a sub.

While the old Point 5 has a regular price around $900 it is being cleared out for $600 at Future Shop. It INCLUDES the sub.

Just an FYI!!

Brent

5. Neil Campbell

I got the old Point 5 system for $560 at Futureshop, with the sub. The new speakers with the cheapest sub are $999 total regular price. I'm happy with old speakers (not sure if the speakers actually changed or not) and the reviews on the system were excellent. The new system may be even better, but for my first setup, this will be great.

Richard, I'm also in Nanaimo.

6. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale