New HT Design?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Breslin, Jun 26, 2001.

1. Mike Breslin

Mike Breslin Auditioning

My wife and I are having a new home designed and will include a special theater room. Can anybody suggest sources for information to aid in the design? We can make the room any size and shape. We would like to seat six people and will be using a G90 projector. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mike
    ------------------

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Perfect! You're in a great position to do it right the first time.
    Not trying to steer people away, but I think the AV Science Forum http://www.avsforum.com Although, this server would probably give up the ghost with the flood of new sign ups!
    Depending on the power requirements for your equipment, you may need to run three or more dedicated 20 amp power cable circuit runs to your theater room. Lighting goes on a separate circuit to eliminate any interference with light dimming systems (Lutron GrafikEye--sp?--units are popular).
    Consider HVAC requirements as well. It needs to be quiet too.
    Double thick, staggered seam sheetrock, insulation layers, and sealed "room within a room" designs are popular since this cuts way down on sound transmission and lowers the noise floor substantially.
    Another thing to consider is wire conduit pipes in the walls and ceiling with pull strings inside so that upgrading or adding wires or interconnects are a snap.
    Dan

3. Mike Breslin

Mike Breslin Auditioning

Dan,
    Thanks for the ideas.
    Mike
    ------------------