What's new

New HT-converting bedroom to Home Theater (1 Viewer)

Najib_H

Stunt Coordinator
So after seeing one of my friends 100 inch home theater screen I knew that moment I need to have that. Only problem was when? I did not want to do the basement because that would cost me a fortune so with a little help from my friend we decided to convert a bedroom into a home theater. After careful planning I have to say I am very satisfied. Mind you it is not completely done yet, but when is it ever. Anyways enough babbling to the pics.....

The room before (there used to be a bed under the window)All the equipment is to one side

The room painted:

With the posters up

The chairs are in:

Moved all the equipement outside, jamming the hallway

Da Bears:

mounting the rear speaker:

Projector mounted in the middle:

Screen is mounted:

Organizing the chaos:

Equipment is put in the closet:

2 fans to cool:

The finished project for now:

Sorry about the blurry pics....I hate this stupid POS sony camera.

Any comments.

Thanks for looking.

Najib

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That looks great. It just shows that a theater room is easier to build than most people think. My room could have been a 4th bedroom if we had added a closet.

How about a quick equipment list?

-Robert

Najib_H

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks! At first I could not visualize it myself but after drawing it out and slowly putting it together it started coming alive, especially after the paint was applied.

Visual:
Projector - Mitsubishi HD1000U

Sound:
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR800
Speakers - Infinity Interlude Series
Surround - Sapphire speakers (gloss black)

DVD/Game:
Xbox 360
Xbox HD DVD player

Television:
Comcast DVR HD tuner

Control:
Remote - Harmony 890 with IR (a pain to program)

Power:
Surge Protector - Monster Cable HTS3600 Pro

All wires are monster cable

Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree that the color of the room makes a huge difference. I went with gray carpet, battleship gray ceiling and trim and navy blue walls. When you walk into this room, there is no mistaking it for the theater (and you can't miss the 103" screen).

-Robert

Najib_H

Stunt Coordinator

I believe its 15 by 14. But the thing there is like a mini hallway that makes the room ideal for a theater. Just that little touch makes it perfect.

I want to paint the ceiling next but for now I'm happy. I'm goign to ceiling mount the projector next.

Shannon W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shannon
Looks good! Two Thumbs Up man.
I have been contemplating pulling all of my HT equipment out of the living room "Leave the Plasma" and buy a Projector and put all of my stuff in the spare bedroom. That was my thought but my wife said "no! do to that's going to be the Nursery when she ends up getting Prego". I told her that she wasn't going to get anything out of me, so she might want to talk to the Milk man she would have a better chance of getting knocked up that way. LoL
Shannon

junebug

Auditioning
Real Name
Leclerc Nesifort
you got to show a screen shot of halo 3 when it come out nice setup

Najib_H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again for all the comments.

The screen I got was the Optima Grey Wolf. I got it from Projectorpeople.com. I was going to get the Carada but it was a little to much for me. The screen is great. I got the dark gray with a 1.8 gain. So it is pretty bright.

I was just playing Bioshock and that thing looked so creepy and awesome! I will take a pic next time.

djsHTnut

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
Looks really nice. Good little theater room. What is your seating distance?

Najib_H

Stunt Coordinator

Intially i was about 9 feet. A little to close so I just moved it back more now. I'm around 12 feet now. Much better and easy to focus.

mikieson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
WOW!...That gives hope to lots of people. Very nice room and you didnt have to go all nuts trying to make the "perfect" theater....Great job. By the way, whats you gamertag?...Mine is Youngjedi71......I have been playing COD4 BETA since it came out..MUCH FUN!!

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
Is that a 7.1 set-up? Why do you have 4 rear speakers, instead of 2 rears and 2 sides? You're defeating the purpose of 7 discreet channels.

You also might want to consider lowering your screen. Ideally you want your "eyes" about 1/3 - 1/2 the way up the screen. From those pics it looks like your "eyes" will almost be even with the bottom of the screen when sitting in the recliners.

If you paint your ceiling a dark color, the picture will be brighter. You should also consider at least painting the front wall a darker color (if not all the walls) as well as the baseboards and trim. The picture will really pop.

What size is the screen? From 12' viewing you should try and get at least 100", but 110" or so would be even better.

Najib_H

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks

I have been waiting for that game also.

My gamer tag is Krimsonking04

Been playing Bioshock for now.

Dart*Mc

Auditioning
That is what you call thinking out of the box. The room looks great. You have the Interlude 5.1 and the Saphire's as surr back right?

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Looks very nice. I like the wall color. Do you have any problems with the closet doors vibrating?

Scott_Sylke

Stunt Coordinator
1) Where did you get the shelf that you mounted the projector on?

2) Doesn't the ripples in the screen drive you nuts?

keithVANhorn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Steinmetz
One thing I would try to correct is to level the proj. Messing with keystone shouldn't be done unless you "have" to. I have installed many projectors and number one thing to get them level as possible. Are the spkr wires just run on the floor? You might be able to tuck them behind the base trim to hide them better.
Otherwise nice job.

TroyH4

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Troy
The attached jpeg files in the initial post are now viewable anymore. Can you repost these pictures of your room?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks